WJL AKA Wrenchjohns Legacy 70 XS1 in gggGary's hands

even though this passed the hot dip test I'm retiring it.
1571240224091889463296.jpg

That's the new one Pete. o_O

What I mean is that to my eyes, it looks like a "cold soldered" joint which, in the electrical world, usually means an intermittent contact that is prone to breaking under stress or vibration.

You can clearly see how rough the edges of the solder are compared to the edge of the solder on the upper RH float in the photograph.

You guys are a pain in the @$$
Now I gotta go pull the float bowl again!
The reason I retired the old one is the radial creases, not cracks yet but to my eye it's getting close, too close.
Better safe than sorry. Like Pete sez... does look like cold solder. Maybe a hot water dip? Just to make sure... :cool:

Better safe than sorry. Like Pete sez... does look like cold solder. Maybe a hot water dip? Just to make sure... :cool:

....or howsabout just smear on a little flux and then run a propane torch over it quickly to "flow" the solder a little better?

Now - I will freely admit that I have never soldered a float, but if it was an electrical joint, that would work fine.
:popcorn:

...or howsabout just smear on a little flux and then run a propane torch over it quickly to "flow" the solder a little better?
I'd recommend against that. There's a distinct possibility of the whole thing falling apart when the solder melts. :yikes:

Gary, for what it’s worth, I put new Mikuni floats from 650 Central in my XS2, and the solder work was unimpressive! I showed what came out of the carbs ( OEM ) vs the new replacements and you could see the original floats had beautiful solder work and the replacements were rough looking. They work just fine.
I showed them here,
Post #419
http://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/page-21#post-545855
I'm with you Mr. Zip I've put in at least 15 of these 650 central floats, all have been fine. AFAIK they are jen-U-whine mikuni. I suspect it has to do with different flux and perhaps lead free solder.

Back