1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

WJL AKA Wrenchjohns Legacy 70 XS1 in gggGary's hands

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Oct 7, 2019.

1. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Oh, and don't forget to "dress down" the ridge around the mounting hole if there is one .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty much every later cover I've seen has this, but maybe the early ones don't?

2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

My XS2 had that lip as you described. I filed it off.

3. 5twins

I'm thinking your '77 has it too.

Team Junk, gggGary and Mailman like this.
  4. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Sure I have the cover back on and NOW you mention this! o_O But I scrape/cleaned that surface and would have noticed a lip.
    Edit; looked back at the pic I took and it's all good.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  5. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Jim, gggGary and mrtwowheel like this.
  6. gggGary

An early rear brake "cam" lol think it's getting some shaping before it goes back in.
    15718439983262103002467.jpg
    And shaped.
    15718474801261206675944.jpg
    compared to a late model cam
    20191023_103021.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    madmax-im, wrenchjohns, Jim and 2 others like this.
  7. TwoManyXS1Bs

Does that early brake cam have the mysterious dimple?

Team Junk and Jim like this.
  8. gggGary

I knew you'd be asking so I looked really hard! LOL
    Nothing distinguishable from the usual dents and marks.
    20191023_174913.jpg

Can't spend all my time in the shop while the trees are turning so got out on the trails today So lucky to be close to these kinds of views.

20191023_160123.jpg

YamadudeXS650C, GLJ, Raymondo and 6 others like this.
  9. gggGary

Several things pointed to a past accident, I wanted to eliminate a bent frame neck as an issue. Good ole eyeballing wasn't cutting it. I needed to come up with a way to check wheel center to engine center. Using the crankcase left hand cover flange surface as a true fore aft index and bolting a good straight level against it I was then able to measure from the edge of the level to center of the cylinder oil delivery pipe as a proxy for engine centerline, then measure from the level to center of the hub at the flanges both ahead and behind the fork tube. Wheel agreed with engine within 1/16", that's good enough for me, whew. Back to swing arm bushings.
    15719513742992016312871.jpg

1571951927251185741660.jpg
    Back to swing arm bushings. Checked the pivot shaft nut, it was not very tight. So i snugged that up and removed the shocks, no noticeable sideplay on swing arm and it was held from dropping by the pivot nut tension. So I changed the zerk fittings to standard grease gun types, pumped in some grease and will call it good for some more riding.
    Hint; don't buy those cheap metric zerk assortments, the threads are horribly out of tolerance. I might just pitch this assortment, I've had to recut threads on every zerk I've tried from the box, grr! Now just a bunch of bolting up to do. Warm (upper 50's that's warm in the upper midwest in late October) and dry forecast for Saturday.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  10. Gary, I'm thinking way back(1976), I fell over around a right turn, off a red signal, in the rain and not hard enough to drop the clutch kit in my shirt. I yelled obscenities got back up and continued home.
    john

11. gggGary

Couldn't take it, went back and tried to remove the swing arm pivot and inspect the bushings. No joy, even with me on the 8 pounder and allison holding the drift it wouldn't budge. Shaft turns in frame but "rusted tight" inside the sleeve, Back together for now. That immovable object will be revisited by an irresistible force, later......

Team Junk, madmax-im, Jim and 3 others like this.
  12. gggGary

Trying to get it out today rear wheel back on, new sprockets, straightened footpeg bracket sliced shift lever slot for tighter fit, some iggy fiddling to do before brrm brrm noises.

Attached Files:

Jim and Mailman like this.
  13. 5twins

Looks like the shift lever has been changed. I say that because on XS1 levers, the pinch bolt usually goes in from the top .....

[​IMG]

I like this lever because it's a little longer than the later ones. This provides a little more leverage when shifting .....

[​IMG]

My '78 original reached about midway into the "H" of the Yamaha stamping in the cover .....

[​IMG]

The XS1 lever reaches midway into the 2nd "A" .....

[​IMG]

TwoManyXS1Bs and Mailman like this.
  14. gggGary

Think this might 'splain some of the running issues, could use a bit of cleaning & lube.

20191025_114811-1.jpg 20191025_114814-1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  15. 5twins

Seems like the P.O. was a "pretty on the outside" kind of guy, huh.

16. gggGary

1/2 heater hose for the cross over
    20191025_121017.jpg

Polished my rod lubed 'r up and slid it home. Points gapped and set. They were kinda tight, opened them to a strong .014" and was able to bring it into time. Piles of tools and "extra" parts cleaned off the lift, :rolleyes: Will see what I got in just a bit.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  17. gggGary

Mid 40's today, Riding Weather! Put on 40 miles, lots of photo stops, behaved perfectly, one kick starts every time. Sat idling nice and even for a couple photo ops.
    Will do a bit of fine tuning yet but it's close. A drop of oil after I parked it.

sealy lake.jpg

18. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Very nice work Gary! As for that drop of oil, I still get them, from the crankcase breather tubes and sump gaskets if I don’t wipe them off regularly. Nice photos and I’m happy to hear it’s running sweetly!

19. 5twins

Yes, try as we might, it's hard to get these old machines 100% oil tight. I can put up with a few drops here and there, I just don't want to see puddles, lol.

Team Junk, Mailman and gggGary like this.
  20. TwoManyXS1Bs

Nice retrofit trick with the 1/2" heater hose.

Gotta remember that one...

Team Junk, gggGary and Jim like this.