Woman with a 530 chain delimma..ha

JessicaRabbit1006

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1972 XS650 that I am beginning to chop up, I just got a TC Bros Hardtail with a 3 inch stretch. I know my stock chain won't fit it is only 98 links, how do I find out how many links need to be added when buying a new chain? Its my first time ever doing this and this question may have been answered before but I wasn't finding any clear information. Any help you can give I'd appreciate :)

Welcome to the forum, JessicaRabbit1006. With a 5/8" pitch 530 chain, an additional 6" of chain is about 10 links. So, my guess would be 108 links. Most of us buy the chain in bulk lengths, like 110, 120, 130. Then cut to length. Until you know for sure, that's probably the better way to go. If you don't have a chainbreaker, then you can buy the appropriate bulk length, thread it on, count the number of links to remove, take it back to the shop and have them cut them off...

Hi Jessica and welcome,
an unmolested '72 is worth a lot more than a late model Special so listen to the Hooligan, eh?
And my mathbox agrees with 2many's; a 3" frame stretch needs 6" more chain.
That's 10 links of any 5-series chain.
But the '72's only got a 98 link chain instead of the later bike's 104 because the '72's swingarm is shorter.
Chop the frame and the swingarm is gone, right?
Most likely the 3" stretch hardtail will need 104 + 10 links.
Best you buy a 120 link chain package and try it on the sprockets after the bike is built to see how much needs to be cut off.

Exactly...I have two runnable 81 XS-650 Specials I'll trade you to keep you from hacking up a '72 XS-2!!

Hi Vince,
you offering Jessica a two for one trade? Sounds like a deal to me. Long way from Washington State to Milwaukee though.
[edit] there's a recent member from the far East wanting to buy a complete XS650 motor.
Jessica should note that you can buy a whole bunch of #530 chain for the price of that extra XS650 motor.

I agree with TWOMANY its around 108 but I always buy the one they sell which is 116 and just cut it down. You can chop what you want but the earyl years are worth some money and I always sell my 70/71/72 stuff to TWOMANY I am trying to fill up his garage. Benefits on a 447 motor is more parts and cost.
But again I have chopped 72 bikes and they ran fine just not worth the money chopped as a 447 motor. Guys on here are going to hear the screeching of HELP as you say your cutting it up.:D

I have built 4 or 5 TCB hardtails and have allways used a 110 link 530 chain it will work with stock 17/34 or 17/32 gearing but I also use a monster craftsman chain tensioner,hope this helps.and NOW EVERYONE mark this on the calendar cause I never say this if it a nice 72 save it cut up a bad one or a dime a dozen 81 specials...

An Internet troll is somebody who makes up BS online to get a rise outta people. Not so common here, think about people who make ridiculous comments on YouTube. Lots of trolls there.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice I will just go with a 120 chain and have it cut..whats so precious about a 72? I've seen people do it before, took me awhile to find any xs650 around here and I like the look of them chopped so im curious why I shouldn't do it? Side note just cuz I'm a girl doesn't been I'm a troll :)

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice I will just go with a 120 chain and have it cut..whats so precious about a 72? I've seen people do it before, took me awhile to find any xs650 around here and I like the look of them chopped so im curious why I shouldn't do it? Side note just cuz I'm a girl doesn't been I'm a troll :)

Hi Jessica,
assuming you do NOT live under a bridge and really DO want to know:-
The earlier the XS650 the more it's worth, both monetarily and for nostalgia's sake.
Mind you, later models perform better even if they do have less cachet and besides, there's lots more of them around so a post '79 Special going under the Sawzall don't raise as much outrage.

Back