wont go in neutral.

i'm definitely going to check the clutch adjustment first. don't much feel like draining the oil to check to dinky springs. i did recently change the oil, but if i remember correctly i was cheap and used standard oil, not synthetic. maybe i'm wrong though. Gordon, i can't find neutral, period. running or not. the new shift lever is the big foot one from mikexs and it merely runs straight up behind the peg (running it like a kick shift) bike shifts, just won't go into neutral, which makes starting the thing rather hard (no electric start). what i'm hoping is a simple fix, but from what i'm reading, clutch adjustment being off shouldn't really affect me being able to get the bike into neutral when stopped.... or am i reading incorrectly? either way, this will not get solved today

- an improperly adjusted clutch is one of the main causes of neutral finding problems
- often neutral can only easily be found while the bike is rolling
- if the circlip-9-holding the shift shaft has moved while changing the shifter the spring can have fallen off

attachment.php

- pays to check both springs shown here

t_shifterspring_985.jpg

- the detent spring-20-tension can be changed by repacking it but the problem usually lies elsewhere

shiftforkk.jpg

INXS, he can still select the gears, if either of those springs were broken then it wouldn't be selecting at all.

sounds like the position of the gear lever could make it difficult to find neutral with it being the big foot and in the vertical position :shrug:

i've tried to get it into neutral by moving the shift arm by hand with the clutch pulled, and still that's not working, just so you guys are fully aware of what i'm doing and how it's not working... my assumption is that the longer shift arm is the problem as i haven't had a problem getting neutral up until i put the longer shift arm on and raised the pegs... but in my mind it doesn't make much sense that such a thing would make such a drastic difference...

340, do try the shifter in the horizontal position. Because of the length of the new lever, your going right by neutral. Wasn't it Archemedes who said "Give me a big enough lever, & I'll move the world". Try that, betcha it's better.

that'd astound and piss me off... but it could make sense, however the longer shifter would have mor travel at the end of the shifter to reach gears, my thought being that the longer travel distance would make the neutral "sweet spot" bigger. maybe i'm thinking about it wrong. will try the short set up again. thanks.

Good luck,bud. And you get the "persistance" award for today. You are definately determined to get this thing into neutral. I would have chucked the damn thing over the wall into the wood's by now. But then, feeling like an idiot, go trudging through the snow to find it. Oh well.

no persistence awards for me. i just have the "trusty" hammer. this is the tool i reach for when i need to throw something... sum'bitchs been through alot... tends to save teh bike though

my thought being that the longer travel distance would make the neutral "sweet spot" bigger

- more likely to push you through neutral without registering it
- try turning the back wheel on the centrestand while changing gears

- im not sure which can be more frustrating, finding neutral or getting the missus into gear:D

Ok so what was the punch line....what was the problem Im sure it's fixed by now...

Back