Won't rev with regulator plugged in

I've finally got my 1983 xs650 charging, now it won't rev. It idles fine, starts stuttering and backfiring when i rev it. The problem started while i was on the highway on my way home, the bike starts stuttering. Made it home, but now the stuttering starts in the low range rpms. Recently replaced the rotor before this happened as it had charging issues. Now its charging fine, tested the rotor again its good. When i unplug the regulator the problem is completely gone, bike revs up fine. Does this point to the pickup coils on the stator gone bad? I thought it needed a carb cleaning as i havent been able to ride much until i unplugged the regulator and it goes thru the rpms fine. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Sounds suspiciously like my problem....
http://www.xs650.com/threads/need-help-with-tuning-frustrations.53670/

I wouldn't feel bad about splicing a wire from the pickup. I don't know what kind of problem it could cause.... Would be best to solder it of course. It's weak where it's partly cut through.
Actually I had to buy a pickup once and it arrived without the plug! Spliced on the plug and some of the wire from the bad one.

I've finally got my 1983 xs650 charging, now it won't rev. It idles fine, starts stuttering and backfiring when i rev it. The problem started while i was on the highway on my way home, the bike starts stuttering. Made it home, but now the stuttering starts in the low range rpms. Recently replaced the rotor before this happened as it had charging issues. Now its charging fine, tested the rotor again its good. When i unplug the regulator the problem is completely gone, bike revs up fine. Does this point to the pickup coils on the stator gone bad? I thought it needed a carb cleaning as i havent been able to ride much until i unplugged the regulator and it goes thru the rpms fine. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Hi Raimitm.. was you able to find the cause? I’m having the same scenario. I have new rotor and brushes. The stator and rectifier appear to have been replaced but still could have issues. Thank you

Put the battery on a charger, when it's fully charged, test ride, any difference? If not unplug the regulator, test ride again.
There have been issues with aftermarket rotors having a different spacing so the pickup sits too far from the magnet on the rotor. Check the magnet, does a small screwdriver "stick" to it?

Put the battery on a charger, when it's fully charged, test ride, any difference? If not unplug the regulator, test ride again.
There have been issues with aftermarket rotors having a different spacing so the pickup sits too far from the magnet on the rotor. Check the magnet, does a small screwdriver "stick" to it?
Battery fully charged, rotor new from MikeXS and ohm’s correctly. Meter on battery while running shows charging but never goes above 13.75. Head light gets brighter as reving engine to 2000 rpm but then starts sluggish. Carbs cleaned new jets and gaskets. Unplug regulator. Motor runs great.. no stumbling, no back fire and or missing. I plugged in a spare regulator and same issue. Could be two bad regulators but this has me stumped.

Check magnet strength and distance from magnet to pickup. hmm will see if I can find a "correct" distance for you.

Back