Work Boots, Recommendations

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys have for work boots when you're out in the garage or shop working on your motorcycles (or at your job)?

I've had a pair of Timberland Pro steel-toe boots that I've had for about 7 years that I like because they are tough and have good traction on most surfaces. What I don't like about them is that they took a lot to break in, are heavy, don't breath well, and my feet ache after a full day in them (even when I used to work in them everyday). I've read some reviews of the newer models of timberland boots and all the reviews seem to say that the boots are comfortable but the soles don't last long. It seems the boots are opposite of what they used to be.

So what do you guys have and wear? Would you recommend them, buy them again, etc.? What type of work do you do in them and how comfortable and durable are they? What do you like and dislike about them?

Basically, I'm in the market for new set of good safety-toe work boots and am curious to see what you guys are wearing and how you like them. If you wear sneakers out in the garage when you spit shine your ride, no need to respond! :D

I work on my feet all day. I have tried a lot of different brands, but the best is Redwing. If you have a store near you, the people there usually know thier stuff, and are very helpful. I also put toe protectors on my boots to avoid wearing a hole in the leather. They are not cheap, by any means, but when you get to be my age, good knees and less back pain is priceless.

I wear either Chippewa or Georgia Logger boots with steel safety toe. They last forever. I work in the Natural Gas Pipeline industry for a living and where them everyday. They are tough to break in but once they are they're the best boot ever.

A little costly $130 - $200 a pair but worth every penny. Had the timberlands a long time ago and one trip in the swamp and in the dumpster they went. Started falling apart on me. Also the loggers look cool on the bike! lol

U.S. Navy steel toe chukka boots

I got two pairs @ $20 ea. at my local army surplus store, new. They're exactly like in the pictures below. The finish is a matte oil finish. They're built the old-fashioned way with a sewn-on sole so they can be resoled, etc. They'd cost a lot if they weren't surplus. They've been my everyday shoe for awhile. Good for riding too.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/eujean03/10005833/

Worked construction 40+ years, plumbing and process piping, wearing Red Wings most of the time. There's two things a working man can't do without: a good bed and a good pair of work boots! When you're not in one, you're in the other...

That reminds me of the two things Texans say a man can't do without. One is loose fitting boots, and you can guess the other.

If I'm out doing something easy and light and I know I won't be doing anything real serious I'll wear my sandals. I'm all about comfort. If I'm welding and moving heavy stuff it's my Redwings. Every now and then I won't want to run back inside to change shoes and I'll weld a little followed by some yells about my burning feet. :shrug: I'll learn someday. :doh:

I wear loggers too. I have arthritis in all my toes and in my ankles so good footwear is a must. I have two pair of Carolinas; non and insulated. The podiatry association recommends a 2" heel, so it's either loggers, cowboy boots or clogs. I'll stick with the loggers.

I just so happen to live about 35 minutes from Red Wing, MN where Red Wing boots are made. I kind of forgot about them until you guys mentioned them. I'm pretty sure my dad had a pair or red wings many years ago.

Quick glance at their website and I kind of like these:

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=2028

Not so much for the looks but they seem to be made for concrete comfort.

Anyone else wear Red Wings or recommend something else?

After 30 years in the oil and gas industry Offshore and Onshore I find that Red Wings or Carolinas work real well. Doc Martens used to make some decent steels too. Jasper said it best Good boots and a good bed are a must for a working man.

For spring through fall I haven't worn anything other than these to work for the past 10 years.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1027

Takes most people a solid week of 8 hour days to break in. I can break in in a couple days. Just wear 2 pairs of socks at first. Got the wrong size once, and returned them after a 12 hour day up and down scaffolding, ladders, and everywhere else 65 stories up. Guy told me I had them more broken in in 1 day than most do in 2 weeks.

Once fully broken in you don't notice they're even there. Also available in steel toe.

I do recommend the "bake in the oven" insoles too. Not cheap, but make a world of difference.

Only real downside is there not insulated at all. If your outside in sub freezing temps they're cold.

Also if you have a union card they give you 15% off.

U.S. Navy steel toe chukka boots

I got two pairs @ $20 ea. at my local army surplus store, new. They're exactly like in the pictures below. The finish is a matte oil finish. They're built the old-fashioned way with a sewn-on sole so they can be resoled, etc. They'd cost a lot if they weren't surplus. They've been my everyday shoe for awhile. Good for riding too.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/eujean03/10005833/

How do u shop on that site ? Can u read that language or is there something I missed on there that switches it to English ?

To answer the OP, I wear Tim Pro steal toes -the newer ones. Theyr some of the best boots I'v had as far as comfort goes . Dont really seem to last any longer then any others . I usually tare up a pair a year but thats normal in my trade.

I have used both Doc Martens and Red Wings. I had some Docs about ten years ago with a steel toe, real nice boots, but someone in the barracks stole them. I wore some Red Wings for a time when I worked in a machine shop. I have heard people say that Red Wings aren't what they used to be, but I still think they are some damn good boots.

On my feet all day too, in a parts store. When working in the shop (sic) (right now that's the driveway) I am usually in older work shoes which are "Vans" style sneaks. You know the flat soled ones usually suede. I blew out a knee years ago and they seem to add some stability. In winter I change to over the ankle boots. Bought a pair at Kohl's that I love. Nice riding boot too. Wore steel toes for too many years to count and can't bear the thought any more. Yeah I show up in sandals too for the light work.

Last edited:
This may not help much but I wear All-Stars at work and in the garage. Ive used a step-counter to estimate I walk 2.5 miles a day on average on a concrete shop floor....Got f'ed up crooked-assed ankles tho so chuck's are the only shoes that dont wear the heels out in 3 months....Dont think OSHA would approve tho... :umm:

Craig

Back