Working on my first bike, did a few tests and still not charging. Need help please.

1BigOkie

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have an 82 model, PO redid the wiring (its kind of atrocious but I will be replacing it once I make sure everything is working properly) It will start, run and drive until the battery gets low (and run bad after some distance, I think the coil is going out/getting hot.) I can not get it to charge, I tested the reg/rec yesterday (diode test) and with the red probe on the red wire and testing each of the stator (white) wires I got 1,1,1 (no change?) And with red on black to each I got 403,360,420. With the black probe on the red wire and testing each stator wire I got 420,408,400 and with the black probe on the black wire I got 1,1,1. I think it's good? I ohmed the rotor slip rings and got 5 ohms between them. Tested AC from the stator while running and got 24V AC going to the reg/rec. I need help, I'm very new to it but want to see her up and running right.

I have an 82 model, PO redid the wiring (its kind of atrocious but I will be replacing it once I make sure everything is working properly) It will start, run and drive until the battery gets low (and run bad after some distance, I think the coil is going out/getting hot.) I can not get it to charge, I tested the reg/rec yesterday (diode test) and with the red probe on the red wire and testing each of the stator (white) wires I got 1,1,1 (no change?) And with red on black to each I got 403,360,420. With the black probe on the red wire and testing each stator wire I got 420,408,400 and with the black probe on the black wire I got 1,1,1. I think it's good? I ohmed the rotor slip rings and got 5 ohms between them. Tested AC from the stator while running and got 24V AC going to the reg/rec. I need help, I'm very new to it but want to see her up and running right.

I have similar probs from my stateside 79xs butchered harness condensers welded to the frame all manner of botches, it ran and behaved just like yours, so I have completely torn it down bought a brand new harness a PMA and will also be getting a Boyer ignition system which luckily enough they make about 5 miles down the road from my home, but looking at your reg rectifier tests I would replace that, and your stator test was that 24 volts AC from the three separate wires or an accumulated voltage which would appear to be low.

There a way to fix it without spending $500 on new system?

Hi 1BigOkie,
sure there is.
The rotor's resistance is good.
The stator producing 24V AC says it's good too.
Not sure about the reg/rect numbers but a new wiring harness and perhaps a new reg/rect should see you charging for less than a C-note.

Back