Workshop heater install.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve just set up my new workshop heater. Previously I was using a kero heater, but apparently it was smelly, not that I could tell, that’s why I tell everyone ‘my $#!t don’t stink’. Funnily enough, the wife disagrees! The new heater is called a parking heater for some reason, and are very popular with the caravaning crowd. These heaters are very cheap at $Aust89 on ebay and cheap to run using as little as .1 litres an hour. Of course if you want to buy one in country, you can probably quadruple that price, happy in the knowledge you bought it in country and it will have a nice English brand name.

They come in three forms: A tall all in one with integral fuel tank, a squat all in one also with integral fuel tank and a unit designed to have the fuel tank and heater unit installed separately. I bought the tall, all in one.

The very first thing you must do when setting these things up, and this is gospel, grab the instruction booklet and throw it in the bin, then go to you tube and look for a video on how to set the parking heater up, there are quite a few. The Chinglish instruction booklet is the worst I’ve ever come across, simply does not make sense, and the bits you can understand are wrong: ‘only on the status is off’. Is a great example!

The unit comes with everything you need to install it, exhaust pipe, muffler, air inlet pipe, filter, clamps, screws, plus a short section of largish tube to direct the heated air. Plus a remote, but you’ll need to supply a power supply, either a battery with charger or a dedicated power supply which I’ve used. You need 10 amps at least for startup, once started the power usage is negligible. Both inlet and exhaust pipes exit the unit from underneath, but the two legs, back and front, are not high enough to allow that, so I’ve fastened the legs to some thickish timber. The exhaust is fixed to the timber via supplied brackets on the right hand side and the inlet filter fastened to the timber on the left side of the timber, again using the supplied brackets. I’ve cut a 25mm hole in the workshop wall for the muffler to exit.

The fuel tank holds five litres of diesel, but apparently you can use kero, old engine oil, canola, kerosene, although these fuels may not work as well as diesel. Usage varies from .1 to .5 litres per hour according to the ebay advertisement. It does make some noise from the exhaust pipe, but that’s outside the workshop so it can’t heard inside, fan noise is negligible unless cranked up high.

The unit has various settings: Timer function, time, temperature, fan speed, thermostat and so on. I’ve set mine to 24degrees C, but I have absolutely no idea how I did that. I also managed to set the time and pair it with the remote, again, no idea how I managed to set them either, but the rest; nope, nope and nope, no bloody idea.

It’s not cold enough to use at this time of year yet, but I did test it out after setting it up. It works extremely well, on it’s lowest fan speed it warmed up my small 4.2m x 4.8 m shed in a matter of minutes. Crank up the temperature and fan speed and it gets decidedly hot in the workshop, so would probably also suit a much larger workshop.

Attachments

• WIN_20240417_16_53_29_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240417_16_53_29_Pro.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 28
  • WIN_20240419_15_37_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240419_15_37_36_Pro.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 25
  • WIN_20240419_15_37_42_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240419_15_37_42_Pro.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 23
  • WIN_20240419_15_37_55_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240419_15_37_55_Pro.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 25
  • WIN_20240419_15_39_11_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240419_15_39_11_Pro.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 26
Wish ahaknowed about it. You got a winner there amigo.

Meantime we got a portable propane fuel salamander with a somewhat noisy fan. Set to minimum the fuel rate is nearly trivial...shop being uninsulated metal roof with concrete floor ...about 37 meter square...meter is just fine when the outside is frosty... it does snow here, rarely... To-day it was 85F... Walls are metal with wooden inside surface...which was a whole lotta work to fit...metric building with americansky dimension wood...much fitting.
Propane runs 4 buckie per gallon, and the vendor is only a klik away... kero is very pricey here...about 10 buckies per gallon, and ya gotta buy in 5 gallon cans. Pump low sulfur diesel about 5.50 buckie...of course the heating values are somewhat different. A CO alarm hung on the wall has never alarmed from this salamander... Since I have a spray paint area in one corner (with filtered exhaust to outside) and sometimes spill solvents (who has not!) - the salamander is in condition off for some sorts of work...and there are opposed rollup doors... which is nice on hot days... Checkin' Craig's List for throw-away swamp cooler... Summer here can be brutal... but the low humidity mean evaps work nicely.

Sometimes I take the salamander into to wood shop..portability is nice. It's quite light.

Didja get a CO monitor? Always a fair thing... me no trustie bold claims from sales pitch folks...

Keep warm old man!

Wish ahaknowed about it. You got a winner there amigo.

Meantime we got a portable propane fuel salamander with a somewhat noisy fan. Set to minimum the fuel rate is nearly trivial...shop being uninsulated metal roof with concrete floor ...about 37 meter square...meter is just fine when the outside is frosty... it does snow here, rarely... To-day it was 85F... Walls are metal with wooden inside surface...which was a whole lotta work to fit...metric building with americansky dimension wood...much fitting.
Propane runs 4 buckie per gallon, and the vendor is only a klik away... kero is very pricey here...about 10 buckies per gallon, and ya gotta buy in 5 gallon cans. Pump low sulfur diesel about 5.50 buckie...of course the heating values are somewhat different. A CO alarm hung on the wall has never alarmed from this salamander... Since I have a spray paint area in one corner (with filtered exhaust to outside) and sometimes spill solvents (who has not!) - the salamander is in condition off for some sorts of work...and there are opposed rollup doors... which is nice on hot days... Checkin' Craig's List for throw-away swamp cooler... Summer here can be brutal... but the low humidity mean evaps work nicely.

Sometimes I take the salamander into to wood shop..portability is nice. It's quite light.

Didja get a CO monitor? Always a fair thing... me no trustie bold claims from sales pitch folks...

Keep warm old man!
These heaters do not introduce combustion byproducts into your heated area, therefore there should be zero CO and no condensation. They’re also relatively quiet. One of my best purchases.

Does kerosene or diesel burn cleaner or more efficient or different in any way in these parking diesel heaters. Been looking at them lately myself.

The heater wil apparently work on a variety of fuels: Diesel, kero, old engine oil, canola, and probably fish and chip oil, same as diesel vehicles, however, there is supposed to be some loss of heat on the other fuels. Diesel works best according to tests I've read.

These heaters do not introduce combustion byproducts into your heated area, therefore there should be zero CO and no condensation. They’re also relatively quiet. One of my best purchases.
I am sure that's the way it's designed...since I read your description of the exhaust routing. My personal prejudice is no trustem, trust but verify, as "somebody" once said. "Sales Engineers" are generally ready to tell people what they want to hear... ;) , and they're often not real engineers with proper qualification...at least in zone CONUS.
CO monitors are very cheap insurance...(10 buckies?) 'specially if y'all run combustion machine...engine, possibly bike engine...and I wonder about the breeze pushing stack gas back into the shop, and over time the possibility of acidic corrosion of the tubes from H2) and oxidation products, acids..burnin' a hole in a bad place. CO in the blood is "preferred" by hemoglobin over O2, I have been told...and the CO departs unwillingly, such that a daily dose is not noticed, until the last day. It can build up. See OSHA fwiw. As in last day, dirt nap.. Insidious stuff. I 'spose I'm am less brave... ;) It is a very nice heater an' y'all did a sweet job of install.

Most of youthful cohort are already dead...not terribly eager to meet up with them ...

I never leave the shop with the salamander goin'... Since I make lots of noise anyway, I'm usually wearing hearing protection with the radio blastin' and stuff running.

Cars are also designed not to introduce exhaust gasses into the car's cab. But that's just what the sales engineers tell us, so I'm guesssing you don't drive a car?

Many thanks!
Alas, engineered design is not the province of sales fellas. Usually take a bike or PU... Machines deteriorate and spew, I have noted. Including bikes...as we all obviously generally agree... In fact it's a design requirement in cars to use forced air fan to bring clear air into "cab" 100% of the time in operation... why is that? ;) Maybe the manufacturers like to spend money for no reason? By all means do not spend the trivial amount to be safe...most of my cohort are dead, like meat, from trusting claims from men who have no realistic interest in truth. If the bad happens, I shall pray for your soul, as I do for them. It's a nice heater, I want one..and a good sound installation imho too...but over time stuff goes fubar...or hadn't anybody noticed? All machine have a death wish..they like to take men along... Faith in claims gets men kilt. Honest tests and continuous monitoring are another, life saving, matter... death comes, usually, as a surprise, they say. CO is an accumulating and insidious poison path to a dirt nap, perhaps some men imagine it's not. There's is in diesel, for example, some sulfur...add heat and O and presto! H2SO...corrosive...exhaust in metal tube...think about it...and the breeze blows in whatever direction whim dictates. Recirc happens. Why cars have positive internal fan generate positive pressure...shop does not... Really, does anybody seriously wanna be so cheap and argumentative as to avoid a trivial expense of a CO monitor? Best of luck...it usually works out to take chances with believing claims, but the risks with CO are quite real. Maybe some men imagine otherwise. Bless them!

Absolutely, I've been called a cheap bastard many, many times, don't own a CO2 monitor, don't even own a roll of cotton wool to wrap myself in either.

I must just be lucky, I've managed to spend 73 years on this planet, 56 of them were spent driving cars. In my younger years most of them were way past their use by date: full of rust, leaving a smokescreen behind me as I drove down the road making a racket from broken and worn out mufflers and exhaust pipes. Never had a CO2 monitor in any of them, just lucky I guess that I'm still here. Funnily enough, my wife is two years short of my record, she never had a CO2 monitor either. Come to think of it, I don't know of anyone who had a CO2 monitor.

Growing up in the 50s and early 60s my folks used a kero heater in our lounge, the ceiling was stained black from the kero heater, we never had CO2 monitors back then. My folks lived into their 70s, both died of cancer, not CO2 related. My sister died last year, pancreatic cancer, also not CO2 related. Both my brother and I are still alive and kicking into our 70s. Brother will probably live into his 90s, fat shit that he is, I've only got a few years left due to cancer, again not CO2 related.

Until now, I've never realised how lucky I am! Maybe it's because I like to be argumentative???

As an afterthought, I'd better ad 'LOL', lest those who don't understand my humour misunderstand. Here it is again, LOL!

Last edited:
My Friend... As is commonly known. combustion also creates other, some nasty an' carcinogenic products. I am glad that you remain alive. Of course a mere 73 is not so bad...good fer ya! CO monitor is trivial expense..and ifin there's CO, there are carcinogenic products too. Speaking of cancer...which is now taking a pal, who's much younger than y'all. He was full of belief...pretty soon maybe lung transplant? Faith! Spend the 10 bucks on beer... ;)

Luck is especially nice...at bike rides I test mine, very briefly..sometimes a cautious (?) full ton... Pal is 50...! Pretty soon another believer funeral, probably---a matter of luck! (?) Faith may move mountains, but it does not prevent death, or chemistry. Good luck Amigo! I am glad you realize, maybe... logical an realistic...argumentative path leads to true results in dialectic method... Good! Me no trustem that over time stuff does not happen... wait a while ;) My "progonosis" is another 15 years, an' ah recollect Harry Truman as VP..and the Korean fubar, (which the US lost to China...)...and do not trust silly sales claims or faith, or believe that machines are faithful and do not deteriorate, or "wish" to kill ya... ...luck and caution have worked for me, an' ah guess luck alone fer some some fellas...so far... ever watch a fella crap out fast? Mother gave sage advice... she read the bar review of tort cases of product liability...and was a judge as well... Me not so disciplined...but I read the bar review even now...y'all wouldn't believe the chit claims they sell irresponsibly... BTW the claim that exhaust does not condense is risible. It does. Particularly on startups...just a smidgen each time the metals, which have drang to become ore agin, spew off oxides and acidic salts & related bits... And anybody who has worked in stack industries would laugh at the claim..layers of rust in months...(sometimes)...depends on the fuel, the operator and the build, but always. Speaking of, for example, aldehydes as intermediate and final condensates... old man, this is 7th grade chemistry..........https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7326653/ Spend to 10 sambucks and know a bit more, and the luckup vector is less. Or keep the faith and rock on...it works for a while, but it tends to reduce earth time...depending on luck, fortune...not faith.

Ifin y'all took the jabbie stuff...well, especially good luck! Belief'll getcha kilt. Ah seen more of than y'all, ah 'spose. That said, I am delighted to arise each day in a living state. Wanna play dice? By all means have fun!

Don't mind the north 40, Togl.... he tends to ramble on an' on 'bout stuff.
Lessee.... he loves russia, but hates helmets. Talk about a conflicted soul.... swears helmets are evil, yet you're a fool iffn' you don't get a CO2 thingamajig... Hmmm.... Mr Safety First.... or Mr Fuck All the Shit that'll Save Your Ass. 'Tis quiet the dilemma, no?
Did I mention he love all things Russia? :whistle:

Sorry, but your written locution is simply to hard to understand. Maybe a local dialect, but I don't understand most of it.

Still a cheapskate though, won't be buying a CO2 monitor, or roll of cotton wool.

Don't mind the north 40, Togl.... he tends to ramble on an' on 'bout stuff.
Lessee.... he loves russia, but hates helmets. Talk about a conflicted soul.... swears helmets are evil, yet you're a fool iffn' you don't get a CO2 thingamajig... Hmmm.... Mr Safety First.... or Mr Fuck All the Shit that'll Save Your Ass. 'Tis quiet the dilemma, no?
Did I mention he love all things Russia? :whistle:
You're opinion is mistaken about love...and hate...which is, they say, sister to belief... Russia simply is...ah remember, don't we all? when they, as Churchill perhaps grudgingly, said,"tore the guts outta the nazi armies"... Maybe some fellas would prefer that they had not done so... Maybe speaking German would be better? There were plans...and many Brit (and US!) fascists. Me no like nazis... Others maybe do... Good fer dem.

Noone ever beat Rus Army...they been to Paris and Berlin, remember? That's fact, not faith. Nice fellas, but terrible foes.... I am cautious about picking fights with winners...some men are not. They tend to lose. The proposition or claim of love is offensive and silly. Honest or brutal, based on reality, is the fact.

See youtube Er ist wieder da.
Actually a highly interesting film. Implies a sort of hope, for some, imho, and obviously a desire for a set of particular people. Fun too!

Bad luck about lack of comprehension... Best of luck in reality.... so beers or what? I mean a whole 10 bucks! saved! Might buy a couple of liters of gaso...dunno.

The helmet matter is a matter of fact, belief being faith in the beanie...run the kinetics. The risk difference, if any, is trivial. My risks are, long have been, measured and based on facts, and accordingly quite brief... Shop time runs to hours... and I am alive as proof of appropriate and well reasoned judgment over many years...

Your expertise in psychological analysis..is highly insightful, and perhaps somewhat speculative, an' poorly informed, some might say! Drink deep my Friend, life can be short, or not. Since faith and hope rule some fellas...that's ordinary and to be expected. Good fer y'all. I applaud!

It remains a neat-o heater and a good lookin' install. ;) An ah want one too! (with CO monitor!) no trustie finks, best belt and suspenders...

It's not about comprehension (yes I did manage to understand that bit) it's a lack of being able to write intelligibly. Couldn't manage to understand the rest of the crap though, although you do keep mentioning CO2. Since your so stuck on CO2, perhaps you should think about bying a CO2 monitor. While you're at it, buy a few dozen rolls of cotton wool to wrap yourself in, just make sure it's not the flammable stuff, you can't be to careful! Oh, and Band Aids, you never know, you may get cotton wool abrasions.

Oops, I forgot - LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL. A couple of extras for those that need to be told!

Alas, my humour has runs low, calls for another blocking I think. Geez, look what you've done,I'm starting to write like you.

Last edited:
When I installed my diesel heater I put in a $25 CO monitor. Never registered anything with the heater running but fire up the bike for a minute and it’s screaming at me. Only reason I put the monitor in was when I first bought the heater, the seal between the heat exchanger exhaust port and exhaust pipe was leaking and it smelled a bit. That’s all fixed now.

It's not about comprehension (yes I did manage to understand that bit) it's a lack of being able to write intelligibly. Couldn't manage to understand the rest of the crap though, although you do keep mentioning CO2. Since your so stuck on CO2, perhaps you should think about bying a CO2 monitor. While you're at it, buy a few dozen rolls of cotton wool to wrap yourself in, just make sure it's not the flammable stuff, you can't be to careful! Oh, and Band Aids, you never know, you may get cotton wool abrasions.

Oops, I forgot - LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL. A couple of extras for those that need to be told!

Alas, my humour has runs low, calls for another blocking I think. Geez, look what you've done,I'm starting to write like you.
CO, not CO2... als! My friend, it's not the same molecule.

Back