Workshop Necessity Timely reminder

Signal

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This afternoon we were in the workshop helping a fellow sidecar team out who have some frame cracks. While stripping the outfit some lock wire shorted across a main battery isolator terminal to ground and started a fire.

The extinguisher was 3 steps away and after the initial panic was deployed successfully. Major disaster avoided but she was a close race, fuel was everywhere luckily its run on pump gas.

Gentlemen if you don’t have fire extinguisher in your workshop get one and disconnect the battery don’t rely on isolating switches.

A big +1 on this. I learned my lesson about 8 years ago while working on my Shovelhead. I had a homemade air filter installed and was working on dialing in a modern carburetor I had installed. The bike backfired through the carb and the improper mesh foam filter element caught fire. Panic ensued and I handled the situation very poorly. NOTE*** never try to blow out a gas fire.... duh!!! So now my whole carb was engulfed and had a full tank of gas sitting right on top of it. The garage was in poor shape and I was getting ready to sell the bike, so there was literally a split second where I stood back and saw flames kissing the ceiling and thought “do I put this bitch out or do I walk out and kick the gas can over on my way out and let the whole detached garage go up in flames?” Fortunately I came to my senses and grabbed a towel and was able to smother it out without seriously burning myself or the bike. I can laugh at the situation now, but am actually very embarrassed on how I handled it. When I built my new workshop I was sure to mount an extinguisher on the wall so I am never more than 10’ away. I also have 3 spread out throughout my home in case of a house fire. You can never be too prepared!!!

You know this really is a good wake up call.
I have been working on gas engine machines in my garage for decades, and do not have a fire extinguisher. And yet in my work life, I have put out fires with a fire extinguisher , no less than three different times.
And 2M is absolutely correct about welders being especially risky.
I had a friend who owned a hot rod garage that was burned to the ground by welding sparks.
I myself started a fire in a solvent barrel at a fleet garage I was working in, from sparks from a grinder.
So thank you Signal. I intent to get a fire extinguisher.....pronto!

I was in town getting the extinguisher recharged today and the guy I was talking to said that the powder was corrosive. The powder went everywhere so if you are buying one a gas type if they are still sold might save some mess.

I thought it was just baking soda?
I weld in my attached garage, and have a all situation extinguisher. After I weld something I hang out for about an hour. I never weld and just leave.
Since we're on the safety tip here, make sure you have proper ventilation. Not just for exhaust fumes, but carb cleaner ,brake cleaner, all those things can get to you. If your shop is full of fumes, and it's really old, just flicking a light switch can do u in.

Thank you Signal for reminding me to make Safety a priority in my shop. Got me a dry chem all purpose extinguisher at Walmart today for $15. For that price there’s no excuse not to have one!
B86A7850-F2F4-4301-8CC3-31562A2BFBD2.jpeg
7B8A241D-3E31-4231-A478-51F38FF87DC4.jpeg
EF87BA1F-3577-4885-9E4D-471CD6344AD1.jpeg

Glad to know you're all good Signal! Extinguishers are a must and they cost next to nothing.

One time I cut a couple of corners on setup doing a little MIG job and spatter must have landed on a shop rag l had next to me on my workbench. I looked up and it was on fire. Fortunately my extinguisher was right there. It saved my arse. Now I have an area for flammable materials and a clean area for welding / grinding. The two are at opposite sides of the workspace.

On a side note...eye protection. Never skip eye protection either. The 'safety squint' is not a winner...

Last edited:
Back