Worm Gear Placement - clutch

Duck749

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok I cant find anything on this. I replaced the clutch, laid out all parts and know correct 7 disk, bearings, alignment are all done, etc. Opposite side I replaced oil seal and bushing, while doing so removed, cleaned, lubed the worm gear. Tonight I installed new Motion Pro clutch cable.

Placed the end in housing at engine and routed up to lever. I backed off worm gear bolt to place in lever to set adjustment and ensure clutch performs correctly. Problem I have is I only have 1/4” of cable on end to connect to lever and it wont install. Is it possible I have worm gear installed incorrectly to give me more cable so I can install in lever? I can screw bolt of worm gear in and it pulls other end of cable to sheathing which is impossible to install on lever.

Clutch rod bearing ? Have you ck'd that the replacement cable is the same length as the stock cable ?

One thing to keep in mind, is that the worm gear can be installed into its housing in more than one position.
Make sure that your cable is approximately at a 90 degree angle with your actuating arm, like so.
6CC87129-E8FC-4DB5-B7F5-F65703BFA466.jpeg

IIRC, you set the arm of the worm at about the 3:00 o'clock position and then wind it in.

I am pretty sure that will put it in the position shown in Mailman's photo above when it is fully engaged.

Pete

Perfect - thanks for feedback! Worm gear was in wrong position (pic attached of afterwards). Lever in can spin clutch by hand, lever out cant. Assume everything is working as it should now!?

Now onto new front/rear brakes that came tonight from 650central

Attachments

• 21CF575B-0609-4FC5-BFDF-3AA025F17C04.jpeg
    21CF575B-0609-4FC5-BFDF-3AA025F17C04.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 185
Yup - that looks about right.

Now, you need to adjust the clutch properly. Search on “clutch adjustment” and follow the guidance of the gurus.

Keep us posted!

Pete

Back