would a regulator from an 81 heritage work on a 74 model?

Mitchell_p

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have found a cheaper regulator that has the same wiring set up for the "xs650 chopper diagram". red,brown,green,black, 3 whites. thats what the diagram requires so i am assuming the fact that its off a newer model doesnt make a difference.

They sell one from tc bros but it's $99 which seems pointless.

this will be replacing my standard regulator and rectifier.

you need to change the brush set up to use that regulator the diagrams and how to's are on here.

yeah thats cool. i remember i need to change to the nylon screws etc. just sorting out what i need first to get all my electrical set up. reg rec is the last thing on my list that i need and was just hoping the years don't clash.

That regulator controls ground so the green goes to one brush the other brush goes to switched hot.
latechargingdiagram.JPG

Remember that a combined regulator rectifier needs to breath because it will get hot.

Ive never heard of that before. Ive got limited knowledge on most things electrical related. Ive got the chopper wiring diagram off of this website and it has the reg rec i mentioned so i thought i would just keep it simple. Do what the picture says and hopefully have no problems or as little as possible.

Ive never heard of that before. Ive got limited knowledge on most things electrical related. Ive got the chopper wiring diagram off of this website and it has the reg rec i mentioned so i thought i would just keep it simple. Do what the picture says and hopefully have no problems or as little as possible.
totally easy to do go to this thread its right now about 25 lines down on garage page #1 "What Electrical Parts to Replace "

Well that looks relatively easy. If i can get those 2 stores to ship some gear to me in Australia. Thanks guys.

You might watch eBay for a VR115 automotive voltage regulator. I scored one for about $10 (total, including shipping). This is a regulator only so you would need to retain the original rectifier but you won't need the nylon screws for the brushes either.

Back