WOW. Listen to this, and please help me.

TheRunaway

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so I have been discussing, searching, and troubleshooting my bike for almost a month now. The problem is, gas leaking into my air filter and over rev. I have been given many tips and tried them all! Tips from users here and from my mechanic.

I've rebuilt my petcock, rebuilt my carbs, changed spark plugs, and done my valve timing, cam chain tension adjustement, etc.

I FINALLY got my bike running a few days ago. Running like a champ besides a small vacuum leak that I was SUPPOSED to fix today.

Woke up this morning and everything that I have "fixed" is back.:banghead: Petcock is leaking again, gas is flooding into my air filter (left side) and the bike wont start. I'm dumbfounded. How could it possibly be working one day and then have the SAME ISSUES the next? I need help, and I need it bad. My mechanic is even scratching his head on this one. Somebody please tell me it's something small. Or something big, I don't give a shit. I just want my baby fixed and runnin smooth like she was yesterday. :(

OK well here is what I would do
First get a portable tank
make sure you don't have any gas in cylinders ( pull plugs crank motor to clear)
Make sure you have spark
Use portable tank to feed carbs by them self and see if carbs leak
If they leak floats or dirt needs to be checked and cleaned.
Here is a good trick to check floats.... Take them out of carbs fill cup with gas and hold floats down.. SEE IF BUBBLES appear FLOATS BAD if you see bubbles
So now if all good with Carbs fire bike up on portable tank ..She how it runs.. If all good now go back and check main tank
If you have a original tank 80% of the time they peal on the inside and it hard not to keep passing small pieces unless you got a good filter.
A lot of bikes that I have worked on in the past 35 plus years that had Carb Problems was due to old parts and dirt. But break your problems down to little problems and you will solve it faster..... GOOD LUCK

Figured it out. It was some bad gas with rust in it that I was getting from work. I pulled everything apart and cleaned the carbs thoroughly, along with the petcock, drained the tank and got new fuel line. She's running great now! Thanks for all the tips though. I'll definitely use this as a guide in the future.

Back