XS 650 carburetor floats

Sweep

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Had to put new needles and seats in carburetors and floats seem to be opened quite a bit because once they were reinstalled they overflowed.
I have adjusted them several times but still I'm not getting the carburetors to come up on throttle and have stopped the Overflow of fuel. Does anyone have an idea as to what the correct float setting maybe I have them sitting at 8.5 mm now. Any help will be appreciated.

The float height spec differed from carb set to carb set, so you need to tell us what year carb set you're working with. Also, 8.5mm isn't any where close to any of the specs so you'll need to tell us exactly how and from where you're measuring.

The usual routine is to measure off the gasket surface on the carb's main body to the top of the float "bulbs". On the BS38s, there's no jet tower sticking up between the 2 float bulbs so the ruler can be placed on the far side. Then you can sight across the tops of both bulbs (in line) to get a reading. Here's a set of '76-'77 carbs set to their spec of 25mm .....

38Correct.jpg

Back