• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Good luck

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Next learning curve chrome and cad plating. Think this where the pocket books get hit. Been told and figured new is cheaper if you can find it the rechrome. Cad plating not so bad could do it yourself with a kit from Caswell. Found a place in Toronto that will due 50# of nuts and bolts for 200$
Or you can do your own nickel plating for under 20 bucks. Have a read here.

Well just received a severe blow to my project. Sent of pictures of exhaust and the word is to far gone to restore

Attachments

• IMG_3645.jpeg
    IMG_3645.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3644.jpeg
    IMG_3644.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 119
When you go back together, you'll find it's much easier from the right side.

3034E7D9-E36C-4D9D-9B2F-07F26A9F8875.jpeg 6C5ACF15-C76C-4133-90C1-927539AB40F4.jpeg This is Bright Zinc plating from a local metal finishers
Not much good to you guys over there but, £25 for this.
Search around in your local you may turn up something.

Well just received a severe blow to my project. Sent of pictures of exhaust and the word is to far gone to restore

Thinking out loud here
If to far gone to restore means to re chrome, one could always consider to clean them up as good as possible
It is ( almost ) always possible to get some kind of metal shine with brushes solvents rags.
and / or paint them with some heat resistant paint
It might not be the final exhibition top solution. But it will be original and possible to ride.
Often it does not look that bad either. One can always fresh it up now and then
Original pipes in good condition perhaps are not possible to buy Or very expensive I would
Guess US $ 500 to $ 1000.
That is a situation of personal preferences. And economy
Personally i most often prefer original even if some defects as long as it is usable -- than buying new non NOS.
We are talking a 50 year old Motorcycle . Enthusiasts understands that compromises can be necessary.

Thinking out loud here
If to far gone to restore means to re chrome, one could always consider to clean them up as good as possible
It is ( almost ) always possible to get some kind of metal shine with brushes solvents rags.
and / or paint them with some heat resistant paint
It might not be the final exhibition top solution. But it will be original and possible to ride.
Often it does not look that bad either. One can always fresh it up now and then
Original pipes in good condition perhaps are not possible to buy Or very expensive I would
Guess US $ 500 to $ 1000.
That is a situation of personal preferences. And economy
Personally i most often prefer original even if some defects as long as it is usable -- than buying new non NOS.
We are talking a 50 year old Motorcycle . Enthusiasts understands that compromises can be necessary.
Yes I agree. Bought aftermarket exhaust and mufflers to make it look pretty. Going to buff up the old exhaust maybe get the ceramic coated. The left muffler the baffle is broken so I think it’s scrap gotta keep a

View attachment 183133 View attachment 183134 This is Bright Zinc plating from a local metal finishers
Not much good to you guys over there but, £25 for this.
Search around in your local you may turn up something.
Found a shop in Toronto that will 50 lbs of nuts bolts springs and bushings for 200$ CDN. Was going to try the DIY zinc trick. As we are in a full lock down here got nothing but time

Got two front hubs here one from what I think might be a 1F the one with the broken lip. Pretty sure it’s broken. The other a 1B has a square block for the brake cable and it may be a fix for a broken cable stay. My question is which should I use on my rebuild or source another. May be a safety issue
D28AEC77-7897-4E9B-9AFC-9EC872B3BFB6.jpeg
EBB6A27F-ECD4-4DF3-A562-5FFB93C35AC5.jpeg

Been on other missions WTDList GCbirthday presents etc. Spending time reading forums especialliy the mailmans resto at page 19 of 169. Must say a good read. All parts bagged and 80% cleaned.Started zinc plating parts but need a better cleaner Mailmans ultra sonic the answer for steel and rubber with some caution

Been on other missions WTDList GCbirthday presents etc. Spending time reading forums especialliy the mailmans resto at page 19 of 169. Must say a good read. All parts bagged and 80% cleaned.Started zinc plating parts but need a better cleaner Mailmans ultra sonic the answer for steel and rubber with some caution

Ha, that’s my War and Peace! You did see my disclaimer regarding rubber parts didn’t you? I do not recommend my rubber restoration experiment, it made the rubber swell and some wouldn’t fit anymore.

Yes but the ultrasonic did no cause swelling may need to read again. Or did it? At present soaking rubber in 4oz of alcohol to 1 of rubber Renu

No you are correct, the ultrasonic cleaner just got everything nice and clean, my mistake was throwing them in a plastic bag and spraying them down with silicone spray and letting them soak in that. Carry on! :D

Back