xs engine

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
OK...I might have the opportunity later this summer to purchase an '80 xs650 motor from a friend. Motor only. It has been in dry storage since 1984, has low miles, and was wrapped in shrink wrap before storage. Assuming that its not seized and has good compression would it be worth $400?

OK...I might have the opportunity later this summer to purchase an '80 xs650 motor from a friend. Motor only. It has been in dry storage since 1984, has low miles, and was wrapped in shrink wrap before storage. Assuming that its not seized and has good compression would it be worth $400?

Hi Capt,
$400 don't buy much these days.
That said, do you really NEED it? If your existing motor needs serious work, $400 for a low mileage replacement is a total bargain.
If you just want it for insurance, OK, dicker for a lower price but it's still a bargain at the asking price.

No carbs. I really only want it for a future project. I want to build another xs for myself. The one I built for the wife is too much fun not to have one for myself. :)

I've always dealt with crappy barn finds before. I've just never gotten one stored like this before. I'm curious if I'd have to do anything to it at all. Not sure.

when you add up the time I spend on the frame and modding/customizing and making hand made parts I figure for the next build I'll just have a new frame made rather than mod the original. I think I had about 40 hours into my wife's frame alone getting it just how I wanted it. plus I'd really like an Aluminum frame xs. :)

up until now the most I've ever paid is $200 for a full bike. But this motor is in much better condition. IIRC it had only 2000 miles on it.

up until now the most I've ever paid is $200 for a full bike. But this motor is in much better condition. IIRC it had only 2000 miles on it.

Hi Capt,
about those $200 bargains,
I only paid $50 for a complete bike but it had no title, was rusted solid, had a bent frame and was in a junkyard scrap pile.
OTOH, there's a guy on line who will rebuild your existing good motor into a 750cc re-phase with new camchain guides & gaskets for a mere $3,000.

I think I'd find a bike to build "first". Hard telling if dry storage and shrink wrap was a good thing or not. I would want open a valve cover and or the sump at least before plunking down $400 and would shoot for 300. I have an 1100 mile 72 motor that's getting a bore and new pistons. But it had a catastrophic oil leak and "bubba" pulled the head with "tractor tools" about 40 years ago, then just let it sit in the shed. Pity, a head stud retorque probably would have kept it on the road happy as a clam. I paid $50 for that 72 motor....
A PO still has the numbers matching unmolested but scruffy chassis.

I've already built one for the wife. But what I want to build for myself will require a custom frame and front end. So I'd be missing the wheels, ignition, carbs, rear brake and MC, and a few other items off the stocker.

It just sucks finding a good motor....was too hard when I lived in Minnesota but I don't find too much unmolested xs650 stuff down here in Louisiana.

I am curious I run a salvage yard and the rule of thumb as I am told is a buck a cc that is also adjustable with condition and kind of motor etc. I was just wondering what people find them for not the "score" price.

I paid 350 for one a few years ago no carb's around here there just not around to get
I did find a non runner rooler with eng for 500 a few months ago

No carbs. I really only want it for a future project. I want to build another xs for myself. The one I built for the wife is too much fun not to have one for myself.
:)

Ah! You been bit!
Low mileage engine is the right words but it's still a pig in the poke. Valve inspection for rust and a compression check....go from there.

:agree: With ggGary The shrink wrap might keep the dust and dirt out. Rust never sleeps. $ 400.00 for a suppose to be low mileage motor. Hearsay at best. Never trust a friend. Offer him $100.00. no peek. :thumbsup:

I paid a lot less than that for two motors and carbs. I parted out one of the motors and got the other running without even touching it. $400 to me seems high.

I hear ya in the fun build tip. Ive had newer bikes, and because they ran good, weren't basket cases, I never touched them, just rode them.
Now that Ive built a basket case with a shattered piston, spent 1g on the rebuild, and hard tailed it myself, unfortunately it doesn't look worth a shit, but you know, I'm OK with that. Its my bike I biult it the way I wanted, huge learning experience, first motor rebuild that miraculously keeps running, and it has more character than the whole peanuts gang. Doesn't feel robotic like the others.
Buy the motor. maybe not 400$, but of course look in the valves, yank the clutch cover. shrink wrap may or may not have been the best bet. could have held in moisture, instead of keeping it out.
Build another
you can always get your money back, rite?

If you can determine the condition of the motor - good should be worth 400. You start with a motor that you need to rebuild you can spend 400 before you can blink.
I bought a complete 81 several years ago for 50 bucks - tore into the motor - after a good inspection calculated what it was going to cost me - thru everything in a box and put in storage - can you say spare parts.

I'm dying to start another project but living in a rental I can't risk messing up the finished garage walls with my grinder and other stuff. Sucks. Hoping I can start a new project next year for myself once we're in our own place.

Back