XS Metisse

A0E09D55-EF1C-4DE2-96CB-E15B119A8481.jpeg
A8C75033-1B66-4028-AA54-2D02F495B576.jpeg
Yokes and taper roller bearings fitted, and I’ve started polishing the engine plates and spacers ready for engine mounting.

I assume you are building it as a scrambler? Do you have any weight estimate for the finished bike?
Are you using the stock hubs, and what rim sizes?
I’m building it as a road bike, I’d guess the frame is around 2/3 the weight of the standard frame. I’ll weigh the bike against a standard bike when it’s finished. I’m using a complete rebuilt front end and wheels from a 1977 XT500.

Ok, I read that in the start of the thread after I posted that question..Not wanting to be negative, but I suspect that the XT500 drum brake may not quite match the capability of the Metisse frame. I have never ridden an XT500, but have some experience with its little brother XT250. Which has a smaller drum, but is also a lot lighter. That front brake is not very impressive.

Ok, I read that in the start of the thread after I posted that question..Not wanting to be negative, but I suspect that the XT500 drum brake may not quite match the capability of the Metisse frame. I have never ridden an XT500, but have some experience with its little brother XT250. Which has a smaller drum, but is also a lot lighter. That front brake is not very impressive.
The dry weight of an XT500 is 305 lb, the dry weight of a Rickman Metisse with a T140 triumph engine is 296 lb, the XS650 engine weighs around 150lb as opposed to 130lb for the T140 lump. I’m not using a starter motor and I’m using an updated combined generator and ignition system, so I’m losing a fair bit of weight .I estimate the finished bike will only weigh around 4-5 lb heavier than the XT.
I also have an XT500 and find the front brake pretty good.

Sure is pretty, knew a young mechanic when I was young who flattracked a Metisse Triumph. Just curious, Does it use snail adjusters for chain tension at the swingarm pivot?
Also I know others have commented, and I have noticed as well that it's often easier to lay the engine on it's clutch side and put the frame on the engine than to hoss the engine into the frame.

Sure is pretty, knew a young mechanic when I was young who flattracked a Metisse Triumph. Just curious, Does it use snail adjusters for chain tension at the swingarm pivot?
Also I know others have commented, and I have noticed as well that it's often easier to lay the engine on it's clutch side and put the frame on the engine than to hoss the engine into the frame.
The kit came with six pairs of eccentric washers with holes in different positions that locate onto a pin in the frame undercut.
I’ll post a photo when I get to that part of the assembly.

A little more progress made, I painted the hubs and built the wheels, made a pair of wheel stainless steel wheel spindles and castle nuts. I’ve ordered a pair of Rockshock rear suspension units, once I have it on its wheels I’ll be fitting the engine.
It’s a pleasure to work on clean parts.
6F6ED850-9128-4425-BDEF-4B545D6E1871.jpeg
E62474EF-DA8E-4475-944F-67EC265E4FAF.jpeg
D9ACCB94-14E6-4ED8-9A8E-FE984E38867F.jpeg

I'm startin' to get nostalgic...:cool:
Back in the late 60s and early 70s while I was riding trails on my T100R :yikes:, the hot set up for most of the guys I rode with
were on Rickman Triumphs 650s. Most built their own from the frame up like you are doing. Those were good times...:cheers:

I'm startin' to get nostalgic...:cool:
Back in the late 60s and early 70s while I was riding trails on my T100R :yikes:, the hot set up for most of the guys I rode with
were on Rickman Triumphs 650s. Most built their own from the frame up like you are doing. Those were good times...

+1
Rickman was the pinnacle of frame builders and their dirt bike frames were amazing.

Maybe we could get @DogBunny to expand his plating operation.:love:

Back