XS Rings

inxs

xx
Reaction score
- 86-89 Honda Acura Integra D16A1-16V-NPR
- 86-89 Honda 2C JDM DOHC 16 V

- the rings for these cars are the same as those for the XS, come in a set of 4 and are a fraction of the cost of XS rings

....75....1.2-1.5-2.8......piston diameter and ring thickness from top down

th_hastings002.jpg

- no i havent personally used them - im going off both the specs and the personal recommendation of a reliable friend

I was doing some searching and it looks like the following engines use these same rings also:

(1.2 X 1.5 X 2.8mm)
D15B1 1.5 L Civic 88-91
D15B2 1.5 L Civic LX, CRX DX 88-91
D15B7 1.5 L Civic DX, LX, del Sol 92-95
D15B8, D15Z8 1.5 L Civic CX 92-95
D16A6 1.6 L Civic EX, Si, RTi, CRX Si 88-91
D16Z6 1.6 L Civic EX, Si, del Sol 'VTEC'92-95
D16A1 1.6 L Acura Integra 86-89

You can get standard size and .020" over here for pretty cheap. Don't know about the quality though:
http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product627.html

Can get Hastings rings in standard size here, at the bottom of the page:
http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/honda-civic/piston-rings/

Or just Google '95 honda civic dx piston rings' or one of the other cars or engines above and you should be able to find a few different brands available.

More info from 650Motorcycles.com .....

http://www.650motorcycles.com/HastingsRings.html

Going with 1st oversize in a standard bore is an old hot rodder's trick. Then you can file the end gaps and set them at the minimum spec.

Can someone expand on this a little more? I think I get it (just get 1st oversize and file gaps to fit) What would the mininum spec be?

Thanks

edit..
Going with 1st oversize in a standard bore is an old hot rodder's trick. Then you can file the end gaps and set them at the minimum spec.

- this is a short term fix for worn bores, not really optimal as bores tend not to wear evenly, more likely to be slightly oval...set the end gaps to the bore rather than the pistons

- check ring grooves for carbon and varnish...clean with the end of an old ring...check for cracked or damaged lands

- clean the oil relief holes

- check the piston for damage...pitting, cracking, scoring or broken sections in the crown, ring lands and skirt

cyl bore mm.........75.0 std.........75.1 wear limit

cyl taper mm........0.005............0.05

piston-bore mm....0.050-0.055....0.10

comp ring mm.......0.2-0.4..........0.8
wiper ring mm.......0.2-0.4..........0.8
oil ring mm...........0.3-0.6..........1.0

ring-land mm........0.04-0.08.......0.15

Last edited:
- if you have your cylinder off, after cleaning the piston and rings put the rings back on the piston, invert it and slide back into the bore...stand over a white surface or light box...you will see if there is a gap anywhere

- the oil expander rings also have a tendency to compress...you can retension them if youve got 3 hands...this wont work if you have too much piston to bore clearance

-need a 75mm pipe or old piston...oil the outside surface

-slide the expander ring over the outside surface

-hold one end to the surface

-hold the middle against the surface-no gaps

-pull the other end towards the fixed end..ie. stretch it slightly...you only need a few tenths of a mm...when you refit the piston into the cylinder they will come to a natural balance

- yes - these rings are to replace nos yamaha rings on original XS650 std pistons...oversize rings should also fit oversize pistons too

Great info..I hope I can find 'em in England as a set of oversize XS rings cost over £75 ($130) here! Cheers

- if you have your cylinder off, after cleaning the piston and rings put the rings back on the piston, invert it and slide back into the bore...stand over a white surface or light box...you will see if there is a gap anywhere

- the oil expander rings also have a tendency to compress...you can retension them if youve got 3 hands...this wont work if you have too much piston to bore clearance

-need a 75mm pipe or old piston...oil the outside surface

-slide the expander ring over the outside surface

-hold one end to the surface

-hold the middle against the surface-no gaps

-pull the other end towards the fixed end..ie. stretch it slightly...you only need a few tenths of a mm...when you refit the piston into the cylinder they will come to a natural balance

Surly when you take the piston and rings out of the bore and clean them up and use the same rings to check out for any oval in the bore, the rings them selves will not be a true round and would not be in the same place as before removing, so you could end up with the outside oval on the rings hitting the smaller diameter on the bore giving an inaccurate reading on the true gap between the bore and rings, or ovulating of the bore:laugh:............if a cracked ring was found, (especially an oil ring). and a honing was all that was needed then that would be a good example for using the oversize rings and if they lasted for a year then the money saved would be worth it

- actually, thats the whole point...not everyone has the tools to measure bore wear and this gives a good indication of existing wear, both of the rings and of the bore...this isnt a measurement of wear...if you check with the piston and rings in the original place you wont see anything as they have shaped themselves together...fresh rings and bores are, or should be a good fit, and although gapped fresh rings would be good for this, how many people just happen to have a set lying around

- naturally, rings should always go on the same pistons and i stagger my rings in a set pattern so they would be sitting pretty much as they were originally

- have never seen the honda pistons, but i doubt the crown is the right shape for the required squish zone and valve clearance?, piston pin size?, piston pin centre to piston crown height?...if youre hunting around at a wrecker you could see if theyve got a dismantled motor - or hunt up a service or parts manual...i wouldnt hold my breath though

- 1st ring, top...height 1.2mm, 0.047in...end gap 0.2-0.4mm, 0.008-0.016in...ring groove side clearance 0.04-0.08mm, 0.0016-0.0031in

- 2nd ring...height 1.5mm, 0.059in...end gap 0.2-0.4mm, 0.008-0.016in...ring groove side clearance 0.03-0.07mm, 0.0012-0.0028in

- oil ring...height 2.8mm, 0.110in...endgap 0.3-0.9mm, 0.012-0.035in

Back