XS wiring gurus: Seeking starter knowledge.

QWERTYMage

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I picked up a Motogadget m-Unit. I may or may not need the relay for the starter...

From their manual:

M-Unit's Starter Motor Output "žstart"
Starter motors which coming with solenoid and a solenoid current consumption of maximum 30A (like Valeo, Bosch, Harley Davidson) can be connected directly to the m-Unit's "žstart" output. In this case a cable diameter of 2,5mm² has to be applied. All starter motors with external relay (like Japanese Motorcycles) have to be still powered via the OEM relay. In this case m-Unit's output "žstart" is connected with the relay which switches the actual cranking current (>100A). Some Motorcycles have an additional relay to switch the start relay; this second relay is not needed."

The relay may be necessary on "older Japanese motorcycles". Not sure if this applies to my 75 XS650 (if it's considered old.)

What say you, wisened sages?

From my experience running a starter without the solenoid can burn up the starter faster and may also put more heat into the wires that could cause them to fry. Got any pictures of what you got?

Interesting gadget. Yes, you'll still need the starter relay, this unit will control it.

The M-button feature, a digital bus typology, could be of interest to those who want to reduce wiring volume and complexity.

You could try to contact member DogBunny (and his friend 'Limey', both in Austin) for assistance with the install...

Back