xs1 1969 nearing completion

TC2000

XS650 Member
Reaction score
here it is ... Rear shocks changed to modern ones ( I need to stay on the road :shrug:)

Attachments

• IMG_1349s.jpg
    IMG_1349s.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_1350s.jpg
    IMG_1350s.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1352s.jpg
    IMG_1352s.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_1353s.jpg
    IMG_1353s.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_1354s.jpg
    IMG_1354s.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_1356s.jpg
    IMG_1356s.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 372
I have a few pairs, some very crappy. The ones on the bike might be for XS1B.
How do you spot these are for later years?

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 323
HI

I am looking at the diaphragm tightness, and changed one in XS2 carbs. I have 2 sets of carbs with the starter of the left carb feeding also the right carb (the right carb has no starter valve).
When checking for diaphragm leaks, it seems that there is a leak from the starter circuit. Looking at different carbs, the plunger of the starter has different designs. I even have carbs plungers of smaller diameters that I cannot use.
starter plungers.JPG

With the one on the right, the groove allows some air to pass from the vacuum side of the diaphragm to the starter circuit. It does like a punctured diaphragm.
With the one on the left, the diaphragm circuit is tight, and I guess a better control of the slide.

Do you know why this groove should be needed?
I intend to use the one on the left.

Any ideas ?
Thanks,

Yes the starter circuit affects the diaphragm on CV carbs. It could be that groove that's the problem, but you might look closely at the rubber disk on the end of the plunger, I believe that makes the seal to a ridge in the carb body, if the rubber is hard and or deformed and doesn't seal, the diaphragm drops faster.

Back