XS1 clutch problem

Cribby

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well, after working on the bike for the last few months, I finally got to take her out this afternoon for a test ride and wow! What a a bike!

The one problem I had was when pull off from a stand still, I let the clutch out and it seems to slip and then re engage right at the end of the biting point, just before the clutch has fully released. Apart from that, the clutch seems to be ok, any ideas?

Ant

Hey, Ant.
All I can think of would be wear notches on the faces of the hub's splines and basket fingers. Their relationships to the mating tabs of the steel discs and friction plates could cause those plates to shift a bit as torque is building.

Edit: Well, another thought. If you're running the original "256" clutch, not the later "447" clutch with its engagement splines on the pressure plate. The "256" pressure plate delivers its torque to the hub by way of the hub's spring posts. Any roughness on those posts, where the pressure plates' spring seats would contact those posts, could interfere with smooth engagement...

Last edited:
Back