xs1 engine mounts

barry g

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys im building a xs1 lookalike here in uk ,we did not get this model here we started with the xs2 so all i started with was a frame 1972 s650-213070 yep i know ts the wrong way to start but its been over a year now and im 85% there to late to stop the engine i have is s650 -013014 all correct parts on it , however the reason im here is to ask why my front engine mounts wont match the frame i have, the mounts are the two plate one each side from a xs2 i did have trouble with rears someone gave me later mounts but they did not match up so ive fitted the thinner xs2 rear mounts and alls okay so why wont xs2 fronts go on , how many plates did yamaha make for the xs650 ??? hope someone can put me right on this one cheers

hi two many thanks for your reply i did dig deep into the past threads to see if anybody else had the same problems as me, found loads with owners wanting to put later engines in or earlys into custom frames but i thought a early 71 engine would slot right into a 72 frame but this is not the case i think im right in saying the 71and 72 frame are the same part number so im thinking there must be different mount s between 71 engine and a xs2 ? the rest of the mounts are on the bike and are now fine just the front been the problem

The front hole in the upper case was drilled in slightly different spot in the XS1 and 1b motor compared to the XS2 and TX650 case. so findXS1 or 1B plates, make new plates or weld the hole in your plates shut and redrill to match your case.

Hey, Barry. I seem to recall other posts discussing how the front protrusion on the 70-71 engine is a bit longer (???), by about 1/2" (???). Not sure, it's in there somewhere. That's why the 70-71 front mounts have their own unique part number. Yes, the 70-73 frames are the same, except for the extreme early XS1's. Member NONclow has posted a bit on this, look for his postings...

thanks guys youve just confirmed what i need to know the xs1-xs1b are not the same part number as the xs2 i will now decide whats best
go with two manys idea i think as its taken me months and months just to get xs2 mounts dont think ive ever seen xs1 front mounts for sale real scarce again thanks for your great help barry

umbrage taken and now retracted.
shots of both XS1b and XS2 engine front mounts. the one with the cylinders off is the XS2

Attachments

• DSCN6417.JPG
    DSCN6417.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCN6418.JPG
    DSCN6418.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN6415.JPG
    DSCN6415.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCN6416.JPG
    DSCN6416.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 279
thank you kindly for doing that for me it stands out now ive seen these pictures just the kinda info i needed , i remember yourself and two many helping me the last time when i needed help with xs1 fork legs etc you were spot on then to thanks guys for your help

You might contact member doncon he has been posting some XS-1 stuff in the classified.

many thanks for that info weekend rider i will take a look but i do live in scotland uk so sometimes its the posting people are not so keen on , but i will take a look again many thanks

hi just been in classifieds at his list but dont see any there . getting down other adds on the lists but some are a while ago so im going to start what ggg gary said make do with what ive got but i do thank you for your kind offer as most of the hard to find bits only come from the states as we only got from the xs2 upwards here in the uk cheers barry

Barry I called him, it is local for me. He is away from home for a few days but thinks he may have sold them already. It might not hurt to send him a pm (conversation) for a reminder to check when he gets home. I told if you work somethin out he can send them to me and I'll mail to you. Best I can do for now. But the offer stands if you find some in the US and they won't mail them have them sent to me and I will.

If you are going to re-work some you might as well have them cut new. We have some really good fabricators on the forum. Check out puptrucks work in the gallery as an example.

thanks weekender think we were writing at the same time there i will do that thanks for taken the trouble to do that for me i will send a pm and im going to check your prev message out cheers barry

thats about right for the size difference i put my xs2 bracket (mount) in place today and if i move the two front frame holes back towards the engine the same amount ie10mm they would fit , i did look on a parts list this morning and it states 256-21318-00-00 stay engine left 5 fits xs1- xs1b 256-21318-01-00 stay engine left 5 fits xs2-tx650 256-21319-00-00 stay engine right 6 fits xs1-xs1b 256-21319-01-00 stay engine right 6 fits xs2-tx650 thanks 2M for above makes it nice and clear did not have to put ma glasses on great info thanks

As noted by barry g, and 5twins, the -01 front engine stays started at later-half XS1Bs, starting at S/N S650-022833, which is the shorter front nose.

My XS1B has S/N S650-024xxx, a later-half model, and has the shorter nose.

XS1B-FrontMount.jpg

Back