XS1 Headlight Adjuster

drdano

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good diagram that shows how the XS-1 headlight assembly internally all fits together? I had a hell of a time last night getting the chrome trim ring off and bulb out. Part of the problem is the horizontal adjuster screw for the bulb ( think that is what it is for) was all mangled and had to be cut off. Then, once taking the two bottom screws off at 7 and 5 o'clock I was able to get the trim ring an bulb out to find a hillbilly repair job inside and now I don't know what it should look like. Thanks folks!

Attachments

• 20170521_213225.jpg
    20170521_213225.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 122
I may have answered my own question here from a diagram found online. However, I've got two questions now:

1. What does the other end of Spring 16 connect to? Something inside the headlight housing?
2. Does this housing require a specific special bulb that has the tang on it that the screw adjuster works with?

Attachments

• HEADLAMP.gif
    HEADLAMP.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
There are 2 different types of headlight units for the early models 70-73.
The early headlight (with the spring etc) is a sealed beam unit.
The later 73 (without the spring) has a replaceable bulb.

If you can't get hold of a sealed beam unit maybe you can get the later one.

Thank you gents, that clears up what needs to be done. This also explains why there was a hobbled mess of electrical tape and *shiver* baling twine inside the housing...the P.O. must have been trying to rig up the automotive type headlight and couldn't quite figure out how to secure it. Thanks again.

Back