Xs1100

Shovelhead

BVCUSTOMS
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can hardtail a xs 1100 not sure if I can ask that on hear just seen on for sale for 1000

You most certainly could with the right skill set, thinking your question is asking if there is a ready made kit available and I don’t think there is. You’d need to get a frame jig and make one up.

Hey thanks I was wondering if they made one I have done a 650 didn’t know if they made one for the 1100 thanks again

Remember that the XS1100 is a shaft drive bike - so a hard tail kit would be MUCH more complex than a kit for a chain drive bike. Also, the XS1100 is a (roughly) 600+ lb motorcycle capable of nearly 130 MPH.

...having said all of that, I simply must ask - WHY, on earth, would anyone want to hardtail an XS1100?

Fred - anything from you on this one?

Pete

C267146D-2E18-494B-B65F-0595A2A08611.jpeg

Hey thanks I was wondering if they made one I have done a 650 didn’t know if they made one for the 1100 thanks again

Look a bit weird wide and stubby, Usually hard-tails are stretched. ...................I suppose a brave/capable man could cut and extend the drive shaft.

Land speed records were set on hard-tails and a some records stood for decades that were unbeaten by bikes with shocks.

Remember that the XS1100 is a shaft drive bike - so a hard tail kit would be MUCH more complex than a kit for a chain drive bike. Also, the XS1100 is a (roughly) 600+ lb motorcycle capable of nearly 130 MPH.
...having said all of that, I simply must ask - WHY, on earth, would anyone want to hardtail an XS1100?
Fred - anything from you on this one?
Pete

Hi Pete,
since I happen to own an XS11Special let me add to your 130mph comment.
Yes, it'll go that fast. Alas that it runs out of brakes and handling at about 85. Makes a superb sidecar tug though.
And as you ask about hardtailing one - - -
A 2 part answer.
Why hardtail an XS11? Well, if hardtailing is your thing, why not, eh?
Can it be done? Sure.
As the XS1100 is a shaftie with it's drive shaft inside it's swingarm you gotta get drastic on the frame mods is all.
Lose the complete back end of the frame. Salvage the swingarm's pumpkin mount and it's axle eye.
Build them into the new hardtail and run the shaft in free air.
Stretch the wheelbase if you want and cut'n'sleeve stretch the driveshaft to match.

Back