XS1B cafe build

SurlyBoy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

New member here. I'm finally pulling my XS1B out of the shed and hopefully getting some time to work on it. I'm using the annual online build-off on thechopperungerground as my inspiration to get it done. I picked the bike up a few years for $400 as a non-runner. It's pretty complete except for the seat.

2C091D62-2C49-4B36-81F5-82BB77711095.jpg

2BE854E8-12D9-47F6-B2F1-EB3DB5B6943C.jpg
D80DC501-FF8D-4702-8171-6606E8A70153.jpg

The bike shows around 7400 miles on the clock but the previous owner said the odometer stopped working so he thought there might be a bit more than 10k on it

A15C9C52-A487-401E-80EF-F8CBDC3D9B04.jpg

It looks like the wheels and brake hubs will clean up fairly decently

EB889831-BDEE-44AF-AB6C-A267460C9285.jpg
8F8693D0-BD4B-4D62-9954-86FF92A4F5E8.jpg

The fork tubes are a different story, but since they're so hard to find I think (hope) they'll clean up well enough around the travel section to be usable. Since I'm doing a cafe style I can cover the exposed bit with some gaiters.
8CBBB237-5E2B-42FB-872D-BE39BDDBB940.jpg

Plans are to clean up the frame but keep it mostly original. I'm looking for a different tank with more of a cafe look, maybe an XS750 one with the knee indents or a Benelli Mojave one. Not sure if I'm doing a humped seat with a shortened fender or a full tail section. Most likely clipons and midsets. Maybe a fairing. I'd like to keep the stock front end with the drum brakes but I have a full XS2 front end that I can swap in if need be. I'm undecided on whether to keep the side covers for a more period look or go with a more contemporary gutted midsection. I'll most likely do air pods and a freer flowing exhaust. Once I get into the engine and get a chance to see what it's like I'll decide on whether it just needs a freshen up or a full rebuild. If it needs a rebuild I'd like to do a rephase. I'll upgrade the charging and ignition systems in any case

Other than that just the typical fun that comes with getting a 45 year old bike running

Last edited:
Welcome SurlyBoy,

The Frame on the Early 70-73 XS/TX 650's are different to the Later 74-84 TX/XS 650's so the XS750 Tank would be harder to fit to the early frames.

It looks to need a bit of work to clean up, and it is your bike to do as you please, but these early 70/71B's are getting rare and worth a $ or 2 in good nick. The early 70-73 Engines, Commonly called 256, are more expensive and harder to get parts for. In fact these early models, 70-73, don't have an aftermarket parts service, comparatively compared to the later 74-84 models.

If you do strip the bike then there are plenty of collectors looking for these early parts, they can be worth a $ or 2 if they are in good condition, (no dents, or rash), and more if the chrome is good. Don't throw them away, post in the classifieds, probably find guys will be messaging you.

Seriously that is restorable and is a shame to cut it at all. If you spent $4000.00 restoring it you would get your money back.

+1 on what 650Skull posted.

If you decide to use the '71 front end, consider that it's a bit tweaky. Some of us here have been on the hunt for some sort of fork brace that'll fit the vertical fender mounts. Closest thing to a brace/fender combo I could find is Harley Deuce, but haven't been able to get dimensions to see if it's even suitable...

650Skull, I really don't have any interest in a stock bike. I hear what you're saying but I don't plan to cut the bike up. I might remove a few tabs but nothing that couldn't be returned to stock down the road. The thing is there aren't too many decent XS buys out there. There's a local deal on Craigslist for a 78/79 basket case and a half and he's looking for $700. And who the hell knows what kind of can of worms I'd be buying. My bike is complete and I know that i'm starting with a decent framework. My goal is to do a mild café racer, kind of a period project, like someone might have done to their new XS back in the early 70's.
2Many, thanks. Like I said, I'm hoping to keep it pretty much original as far as the frame and front end goes. I don't expect this to be a serious racer, especially with the drummies on both ends. I've had a bunch of old bikes and know not to expect razor sharp handling.

Interesting.

I gave information on the Tank relating to the frame...........$ cost relating to later more abundant 447 Motors..............and the replacement of parts..............Situation on resale of parts...only If. .............................Acknowledge it's your bike to do as you please .....................And an alternative scenario for money spent = value after.

Take what you want out of it

Hi SurlyBoy and welcome,
about that gas tank. It looks like the dreaded PO fizzed it over with BBQ paint atop what was there.
I've had good success salvaging such tanks and perhaps you could too.
Try swabbing that nasty black with an acetone soaked cloth. If you're lucky the stock paint job will still be intact underneath.

Thanks. It's not the original tank. the kid thought it was off a '74. There's a bit of red showing on the edge of the mounting tab. I think the TX650 came in a dark red. I'll try and clean off the black and get a better look.

Welp, it looks like the tank is off an XS2. It's a pretty good match to the red and white one I have. The outline of the pinstripes is visible under the black and it appears to be the same pattern
D0C64219-7066-44FA-AF65-3135DF795A5F.jpg

The black one has a dent on the top that wouldn't be hard to pop out. The cap in in good shape.
F8CC7EEC-E2F6-4CC0-A3D9-EE5F2E0766C9.jpg

There is a pretty bad dent on the right front, looks like the bike it was originally on got hit and the fork tubes crushed the tank. That will take a bit of work to straighten out. The badges on both tanks are toast.
2DB3F0C5-50FD-4F56-90E5-48ACAA9937F2.jpg

I'm probably not going to run either tank on this build. I'm hunting for something with a rounder top and preferably knee indents.

Last edited:
QUOTE="SurlyBoy, post: 480173, member: 26289"]Welp, it looks like the tank is off an XS2. It's a pretty good match to the red and white one I have. The outline of the pinstripes is visible under the black and it appears to be the same pattern

Hi SurlyBoy,
if you decide you want a tank with knee dents I'd suggest that rather than attempting a cut'n'weld job on one of your tanks you e-shop around for a tank you'd like and clean yours up as part of your parts stash or offer them for resale.

That's the plan, Fred. I might try reworking a less desirable tank if I can't find something reasonably priced. I'll wait until mockup is done before I start selling stuff. It's always about 3 weeks after you ship something that you realize you might still need it

Started working on the bike. Got the rear mudguard off and stripped most of the top of the forks. I am waiting for the WD40 to sink into the top of the tubes. The top clamp is jammed on pretty tight. The inside of the forks are gunk central. Guess I couldn't expect too much else after 45 years.

I want to get the headlight ears off so I can slip on some clipons. I have a set of Joe Wiseguy originals to offer up to the project. Still trying to track down an XS750 standard tank for reasonable money. Looks like I might take a shot at making my own tail section

8990D630-4A92-459D-AE50-904AE5B36F25_1.jpg

The top clamp was jammed onto the left tube. Had to pretty much disassemble the entire front end to get enough room to work it free

86EFFADF-37B3-417E-9D1E-77779ECF88EA.jpg

Mounted the Joe Wiseguy clipons. I got these in the charity auction a few years ago. They're really well made and solid but I think they're a little too chopper or brat looking for this build. I'd like something with a bit more of a classic style and maybe a little drop

3A2DDF84-04F7-468E-83C2-F4CCF123C5F2.jpg

Threw on a set of MIDI shocks I had laying around. They're the same length as the stockers. I think they're a bit stiffer though. I'll have to wait until I get the front end rebuilt before I know if I need a longer length. The forks are squishy ishy and a seeping what looks like water at the seals

C6884E41-52A3-4376-B72B-468D066E3321.jpg

I put tank that was on there when I bought it and a tail section from a Suzuki GS550 to see what the lines look like. I'm going to make one that's rounder at the back

AFEA4A65-D994-48AF-9BB5-A557CDCF9987.jpg

Finally, I flipped the stock peg mounts to get an idea of how it'd sit with rearsets. Not a bad seating position. I could run the shifter backwards like this, it'd flip the pattern to a race style.

772C27ED-BDA4-4727-8077-39AFD8BFCB6F.jpg

I found a blog where a dude reworked the stock XS peg mounts into rearsets. He welded on a mount for levers too. I might give it a try. Has that homemade vintagey (it's a word) look I like

D4367340-4C1E-4E6B-B9BC-92AF6295F48F.jpg

http://the520chaincafe.blogspot.com/

It's like a photo blog. He has a couple of projects going at the same time. All interesting stuff, you just have to scroll through random pictures to find the next installment of a certain build. I think this ones starts sometime in 2011

Finally, I flipped the stock peg mounts to get an idea of how it'd sit with rearsets. Not a bad seating position. I could run the shifter backwards like this, it'd flip the pattern to a race style.

772C27ED-BDA4-4727-8077-39AFD8BFCB6F.jpg

Hi Surlyboy,
the inverted shift pattern will be OK so long as you remember about it being that way.
Revving to 6K in 3rd and then shifting into 2nd instead of 4th could be somewhat traumatic.
Inverting the pegs to make rearsets won't work as shown because the footrest's swivel direction will also be inverted.
Pull the pivot pins, remove the rubber eyes and rubber-clad pegs so they don't light on fire, torch the horizontal arm orange-red,
twist it through a half-turn, leave to cool, re-assemble, re-paint and put 'em back on the other sides of the bike.

Back