XS2 Air Filters

scanney

RP McMurphy
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking for stock air filters for my 1972 Yamaha XS650. I see Mike's has them for $30.14! Does anyone know of any less expensive options? $30 for $5 of material just doesn't seem right. Thanks.

I bought replacement filters on eBay , made by Uni. The were about half the price of the ones from Mikes.
4F10F12F-59B3-4836-84D2-CFFDB557FEC7.jpeg
But they are flawed in design, they are open thorough the center and dust can come right through the center of the filter.
A6F2B882-8D2D-4663-B456-09918D61BF37.jpeg
So, I removed the foam to re use,
DDC33524-4BC1-4EAC-A392-E5525CA67C4E.jpeg
I then cut the old paper from the stock filters, and cut the foam to fit the stock filter cages. Oiled the foam and wrapped it around the cages and held it in place with twist wire.
334D794A-44B2-468A-BCA6-4808C32C7344.jpeg
68034EB9-5758-4298-A64A-7591E8DB8789.jpeg

You can buy sheets of filter foam pretty cheap, I wouldn’t buy the filter oil again, it’s super sticky, I’d just use motor oil. Originally I used a double layer of foam, but I felt that was too restrictive ,so now I’m running a single layer.

I bought replacement filters on eBay , made by Uni. The were about half the price of the ones from Mikes.
View attachment 175154
But they are flawed in design, they are open thorough the center and dust can come right through the center of the filter.
View attachment 175156
So, I removed the foam to re use,
View attachment 175155
I then cut the old paper from the stock filters, and cut the foam to fit the stock filter cages. Oiled the foam and wrapped it around the cages and held it in place with twist wire.
View attachment 175152 View attachment 175153
You can buy sheets of filter foam pretty cheap, I wouldn’t buy the filter oil again, it’s super sticky, I’d just use motor oil. Originally I used a double layer of foam, but I felt that was too restrictive ,so now I’m running a single layer.
Zackly what I do.

Next question, does anyone know where I can get two Joint, Air Cleaners for the air boxes? See pic below. Item 13 in schematic. These are the rubber joint pieces that attach the carbs to the air box. Also see the two air boxes I scored from Sport Wheels in Jordan, MN! I'm in the process of removing rust and repainting. I will share before and after pics when completed. Thanks again for all of the helpful responses in the past.

Attachments

• Air box joint.JPG
    Air box joint.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Air boxes.jpeg
    Air boxes.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I always rub silglide completely into any new rubber parts I use. Mebby I'm just lucky but have had pretty good luck with mikes rubber parts doing that.

The heavy rust and old paint came off well. See pic. The hinges took some extra effort to take apart, but came apart with no damage. I intend to paint the air boxes on Wednesday. I post pics when completed. Thanks for the helpful responses.

Attachments

• Air boxes II.jpg
    Air boxes II.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 132
I'm done with restoring the air boxes I picked up at Sport Wheels. $15 each and no extra charge for the rust! The rust came off nicely with vinegar. I painted with rattle can. Not professional grade, but no rust and bike back to stock. Thank you sir I'll have another!

Attachments

• Air boxes.jpeg
    Air boxes.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Air boxes II.jpg
    Air boxes II.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Air boxes III.jpg
    Air boxes III.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 150
Thank you. I was amazed at how well the vinegar worked on the rust. I will install the air boxes this winter while bike is in basement.

When I was restoring my XS2 , I had a big bucket filled with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. I used to throw all sorts of stuff in there and let it soak for days. Usually when I pulled parts out I could just peel the old paint off. It works really well. On my bike , I only powder coated the frame, every other black piece was hit with Rustoleum Professional gloss black.

Nice job on those parts. You can find some pretty good stuff at sport wheels but sometimes they like to screw you on the price. About 15 years ago when I was restoring my 72 I was exploring all the buildings and found a perfect XS2 seat pan with crusty seat. I was also looking for Z1900 parts and found a set of early fork legs which I had to dig out from a pile of fork legs/tube 5ft high. As I was doing this I looked over a saw a chain oiler tank for the Z1 just sitting on the top of another pile.(they had a automatic oiler). I think I paid $50 for the tubes and $25 for the tank, the guy said these are getting kinda rare and I say ya but I had to dig them out and you didn't even know you had them. Ended up selling the tank to a guy in Germany for $550 and the fork tubes for $400 on Ebay. I also picked up a XS1 tank that had been sitting there for a while and sold that to a guy in Sweeden. Its amazing how much stuff they have out there. They have several 4x4x4 containers full of 4 cylinder carbs piled high. Its been a while since I have been there but when I go back I like to rummage through the yard. The seat pan I used on my XS2

Hi Scanney

Did you end up buying those air box joints fr Mike's XS? If so I'm wondering what your experience with them was? Has anyone else tried them out? They look slightly different from OEM, but to pick up from Ebay can be pricey and you never know quite what you are getting.

Thanks in advance.

Back