XS2 Bobber (AKA - The Classic Chop)

SkavenDC

Just Some Guy With a Bike
Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Perhaps, but I believe that every XS650 owner sees beauty in even the ugliest of XS's. Even if it's not right in front of them. Well, I acquired a beautiful, ugly-duckling XS2.

Original plan was for me to chop and hard tail a later model XS. I live in Maryland though and this state seems to really like it titles. Or at least the need for one already in place. So all of the lower priced "Bill of Sale" only bikes were a no go. Then a clean, titled 1972 popped up. Decided it was the right time (and the right price) and pulled the trigger.

Boy it was ugly, but it ran, shifted and went. Only ran with the choke on, but didn't want to run it too much so it never really got up to temperature. It also stopped...mostly. Only went about 100 feet, and boy did it feel like a complete danger ride. Shifted back into neutral with ease. Turned it off, and pushed it to the place I was going to tear it apart at.

Since getting it, I discovered that the 1972 XS2 may not be the right bike to chop as it is somewhat classic in nature. Decided a restore job may be inline. Started tearing it down and discovered something bad, so I am back to the original plan. Hard tail the classic.

Some pictures.

The day I brought it home.

DSCN2821_zps8c4f4a6f.jpg

3 1/2 hours later (once I was able to get to it 2 weeks later that is)

2_zpsd91c66ef.jpg

And the engine as of a few days ago.

engine_left_zpsb90cacee.jpg

engine_right_zps1e48f48f.jpg

To be continued.

Little about me. My name is Edward and I live in Montgomery Village, Maryland. I currently ride a 2004 Yamaha Road Star Warrior that I bought brand new. I love the bike and have no intention on ever getting rid of it. I am on a Warrior specific site that, like here, is full of guru's that have done weird, interesting things to their bikes. I caught the mod bug over there and it hasn't left. I have done a lot to it and still have not finished. In fact I was prepared to install some adjustable dog bones and an Eibach 1000lb spring so I could lower it and install a smaller primary pulley (belt driven) for some more torque, but got......distracted.

Decided I wanted to do a vintage project and settled on the XS50. It was already made by the right manufacturer and it had a great rep. I almost bought a Honda CM400, but couldn't do it. Would have been an interesting project, but was not what I was looking for. My XS appeared to me a week later. I have done a lot to my current bike, but I have never had the thing completely apart. So, part of this project was my intention to completely tear down the bike, engine and all. Meant to also be a learning experience. Although it is not my profession, I am fairly mechanically inclined and I look forward to the experience.

Enough about me. Here's a couple shots of the Warrior. (Pulley cover is off in that shot, because I am currently working on an exposed pulled cover when I do the install.)

photo1_zps7b68b426.jpg

photo2_zpsf1d904a6.jpg

Next post, I'll explain why it will not be a restore job.

So, the reason for sticking with the original idea. This is a shame too. I have come to realize that the 1972 XS2 is my favorite, with the 1975 close behind. I kind of got excited about having a mint XS2. As I was taking it apart, I discovered a problem.

First was the tabs, holding on the rear fender stay was damaged (no pictures of that) and it was slightly bent off to the side. Didn't really think much of it. The bike is 42 years old. Maybe it was dropped. Forgot to put the side stand down maybe? I mean....it's never happed to me, but stranger things have happened. Further dismantling presented this.

1_zpse6e4bac8.jpg

The center line of the tire did not match up to the center line of the backbone of the frame. Started checking the wheel within the swing arm. Everything "looked" fine, but obviously something was...amiss. Continued the tear down. Finally got everything off and discovered this.

3_zps826d1227.jpg

That is the left side where the swing arm connects to the frame. Plate? Anyway, it is damaged and very badly welded back together. Hmmm. Perhaps the title shouldn't have been "clean". Another thing that was discovered only a few days ago, which I assume is related, was that the shift shaft assembly was also slightly bent. Enough that I couldn't get it out of the engine without cutting it in half with the angle grinder. The chain guide around it is also slight bent. Side cover appears to be damage free though. So far, I took some measurements from the neck back to various points, and the rest of the frame appears straight. At least the part north of a hard tail. Neck too has no damage that I could see.

So, I guess I could locate somebody that could redo this area and put it back to the way it was meant to be and go forward with a restore job. Toss enough money at something and just about anything could happen. I am trying to keep this somewhat of a budget build though, so.... That is the reason for chopping a classic.
Up until this point, I pretty much have things under control. I can figure most things out for myself and am fully versed in the use of forum search functions. I spend a good portion of my free time here reading any an all threads related to what I want to do. That being said, I may ask a few questions along the way to make sure I'm on the right track. I think that the work will go slow as I am shy on funds right now, but I am staying motivated and trying to do something every day. Even if it's just polish some metal.

Well, that's enough for now, but stay tuned. That first question will be coming in the next few days. Standard what-is-your-opinions-on-this-part kinda thing.

I kind of got excited about having a mint XS2. As I was taking it apart, I discovered a problem - - - -

Hi Ed,
oh my, that frame's rear end is seriously FUBAR. But the front end with it's all-important registered VIN is still good.
What you can do instead of the usual masochist's hardtail job is to get in contact with one of the list members who is going medieval on his good frame with a sawzall and buy his rear end.
Gotta cost less than buying a hardtail kit, the welding costs to join your good front to the replacement rear are identical to the hardtail weld job and you will end up with a good stock frame as the basis of your resto.

Skaven, I'll add to your dilemma; I'm not that far from you (work in Catonsville, near BWI), and I can properly repair that frame. Wouldn't take long, and I'd do it at no charge, as a courtesy to a fellow MD XS'er. :)

Skaven, I'll add to your dilemma; I'm not that far from you (work in Catonsville, near BWI), and I can properly repair that frame. Wouldn't take long, and I'd do it at no charge, as a courtesy to a fellow MD XS'er. :)

Way to step up there FB. Nothing like lending a hand to a fellow rider. :thumbsup:

Wow!! That is an extremely generous offer that I may take you up on. Although I have kind of gotten used to the idea of doing the hard tail, a huge part of me doesn't want to chop a classic since I have a titled XS2 with matching numbers. Even if I don't go full resto at this point, I will still have the base to do it on down the road.

I'll PM you later this afternoon.

Way to step up there FB. Nothing like lending a hand to a fellow rider. :thumbsup:

That's why I love forums like this. The generosity of others sometimes is amazing and the world would be a better place if there were more like that. I don't always have the tools or the skill for the job, but I always try to be available fellow riders to lend a hand when ever I can.

So, it's been a couple weeks since I have done anything. Life has gotten busy, but hoping to devote a little more time to the XS. I have contacted FB and it looks like he will be looking at my frame in a couple weeks. I'll make sure to grab some good before and after pics. In the meantime though, I have my first set of "What do you guys think" questions.

1. Oil passage way plugs - In the cylinder head cover, it seems that the oil passageways to the rocker arm shafts are plugged at ends in different fashions. One end point (right side exhaust if it matters) the little ball bearing is exposed whereas the other 3 seem to be covered. This this normal/fine?

DSCN2916_zpsdb8515d2.jpg

DSCN2917_zps46f6bbd9.jpg

2. Connecting rod condition - I'm sure this has been beat to death but I figured I'd ask again since it seems that the 256 connecting rods are kind of a rare item. I have read on here that if the copper cladding is worn all the way across, it is time to replace them. I have also read on here that some people have bought new rods and the copper is not even coated inside the smaller eye. One of the responses was that it was coated and then possibly machined to specs and that it was just for rust prevention anyway. I will admit that I had only read that in one thread. Anyway, what do the guru's think? I may have no other choice but to run them, but don't really know what my options are. I know a search on the internet didn't yield what a 447 engine yielded (duh). I HAVE NOT yet checked the tolerances per the service manual yet, but I don't remember it feeling loose when I took it apart. Also, this is the best picture I have right now. I can get better ones later. Thanks.

DSCN2904_zps056c0a38.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Skaven,
the oil passage plugs are as they left the factory.
That wrist pin bore is worn enough to show so it's definitely NOT re-usable unless it's fixed.
It's said the eye is too thin to salvage by boring it out and pressing a sleeve in.
Take a chance on that anyway?
Ream the rest of the copper plate out to get the hole round again, get it heavily re-plated and reamed back to stock diameter?

Ream the rest of the copper plate out to get the hole round again, get it heavily re-plated and reamed back to stock diameter?

That may be the way to go. Still on the look out, but I'm giving this idea some serious thought.

A non-picture update (for now).

So, I met with FB71 a week ago. Met him at his place of work ('cause that's where all the groovy tools are). After the proper nice-to-meet-ya's and how-ya-doing's, he took one look at the frame and laughed. All he could say was that he had seen worse. :laugh:

So, after a few hours of cutting, grinding and welding, my frame is safe and functional again. Strengthened a couple other areas too that appeared to be cracked from whatever did that to my frame in the first place. No pictures of the work in progress. The B.S. session was just too good to get any pictures. It's a shame though, because I wish I had a picture of how much material was "burned" off from the previous weld job.

Just wanted to pop on here and say that this was one stand-up job from one stand-up guy. I am happy that FB71 was able to help me with my frame issues, but I am happier that I got a chance to meet him. Thanks again brother.

Will post up a little later. Working on the bike now. Split the cases last night so it is officially completely torn down. Now comes the process of cleaning everything. Plus I got a few pictures from the case splitting. These will be called The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. :banghead:

Back