XS2 caliper

prmurat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Any idea to take pistons (2) off a Yamaha xs -72 caliper? Compress air does not work!
Tks
Philippe

It took me a long, long time and a lot of patience to get mine out w/ compressed air. You might try hooking it back up to the braking system, filling it with fluid and squeezing the lever w/ the pads out of the caliper. Since the master cylinder pushes the pistons forward for braking, I think that this should at least get them a lot further toward the surface of the bores of the caliper if not pop them out.

Lets hear more; the first piston is easy, then what? Do you pretty much HAVE to split the caliper? Inquiring minds and all.

Guys, I can finally contribute something really helpful from my own trials! :)

Here you go. Compressed air does work. Follow the procedure precisely. I had success when a "professional" bike shop failed. You will triumph! :)

TC

Oh, sorry if I was not clear, Gary... I can't claim credit for thinking it up or documenting it. Credit goes to Brad Obidowski at HVC. I did, however, discover the article during an exhaustive search for an answer to my frozen caliper after everything I had tried failed miserably, including taking the caliper to a shop, who pronounced that I was wasting my time with that caliper. Wrong! I went back and showed them how to do it.

And innumerable thanks to 5twins and Gordon (I learned lots of little tricks from them about rebuilding these calipers) for all their attempts to assist leading up to the discovery of the article, which I move should be permanently linked from the Tech Section.

TC

Just read that, very good write up. Good pics, simply stated.
I agee it should find a permanent link to be found.
Leo

You guys have me thinking a dip in the crock pot full of pinesol hmmm. I sure hate filling the calipers with grease.

The grease cleans out just fine. Using grease won't have the piston leave the caliper at quite as high a velocity as air.
Leo

Finally did it: put all the line together SS and bleeded the system....one piston was ok but the other one was stuck... Piston 1 was close to pop up so I immobilized it with a hose clamp and #2 is now mowing....lot of WD40...
Now for another dumb Yamaha moment: do you have to take the wheel off to reinstall the caliper!
Other WTF: MC (round reservoir) sold by Mike's does not support the -72 stop switch??? And has a thread for a mirror???

You should be able to get the caliper off and on with out removing the wheel. Your repair manual covers this.
Is the Mike's M/C you are talking about item #08-6009? The one in the pic? If so that one will work your brake just fine.
His 308-0255 won't look stock but will make the brake work much better.
The 72 and 73 had the brake light switch in the M/C. In 74 they moved it to the juction where the upper and lower brake lines hook together at the lower tree.
I'll put up a pic of the one on my 75 front end. You will see the junction. The upper line hooks at the top, the lower at the bottom. The thing sticking out at the upper right side is a brake switch. They used this set up for a few years. In 78 they put the brake switch back in the M/C.
He sells a banjo bolt with a brake light switch incorporated in it. Just use this banjo bolt to replace the one that holds the brake line to the M/C. Then with just putting the right connectors on the wires you can just plug it in where the stock brake switch plugs in. I have been using one for a few years and it works fine.
Ok now that the pistons are moving in the caliper are you going to take them apart for a good cleaning and inspection?
Leo

Attachments

• 08-6009.jpg
    08-6009.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 123
  • LostFile_JPG_65031368.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65031368.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 115
For a few years the factory put the mirror mount M/C on the bike with a plug in the threads and still used the clamp on mirrors.
How's that for a WTF.
Leo

Tks Leo.
Manana i'll take pistons out and redo the caliper with new everything. Will have to find a banjo switch contact bolt... I have one line straight from the MC to the caliper, tks God no junction full of air bubbles! My 70 MC does not have provision for a mirror but has for a mechanic brake switch. It will again teach me to not believe adv hype....and the lightly used "stock" word...I.e. The WTF

If buying from Ebay, they are like po's that tell you the bike ran great just last week. You can't believe most of what they say.
Leo

40 years of crap inside:
d4d9ae80.jpg

And .... You have to take the wheel off to put the caliper back him!

Back