xs2 carbs and starting issues

nkymain485

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a 72 I have been building for what seems like 20 years. I'm ready to start it up finally but having a hell of a time trying to get it to run. Currently I have a pamco and Hughes PMA. Has spark and I'm fairly certain it is in time. I can spray ether in the inlet and get it to fire.

I ended up getting a set of bs34 to run on it, I read somewhere on here that they should work but for some reason it seems like it won't pull fuel into the intakes. I rebuilt the carbs but couldn't get the jets out that have the rubber piece over them, they stripped. However I did clean them really well and confirmed carb cleaner would go through each hole. I also confirmed that gas does flow through them as the float boals do fill with gas.

I know the 72 carb holders had the barbs on them for suction possibly? My current setup does not have barbs. I feel like it has to be the carbs but am at a loss now. Looking for any thoughts or ideas from my xs friends! Maybe I need to run different carbs?

The pilot jet (under the rubber cap has a very small hole and it is often plugged. are the choke orifices in the float bowl open?

Then he must be using pods or something. He would not be able to use the stock filter housing. He also must be using BS34 holders and not BS38

BS34 holders would have the vacuum barbs, so it doesn't sound like he's got those. That could be the issue right there.

Back