Xs2 Engine rebuild

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Xs oil tube.jpg Xs shift shaft.jpg Xs bottom end.jpg I'm
employed... a pay'n job.. ! ok, it's nearly 100 miles round trip from my door to shop... pay covers the gas bill....
A client call'd the shop... ask'd if we has a XS engine.... we had one that turn'd over.. and a couple that are either a paper weight or boat anchor. A deal was made and.. let the fun begin.
Since we do not know the history of the engine.. we'll split the cases.. eyeball the innards... look for bad gears... bent shift forks... etc etc.... we had to warm up the oil feed tube nut..(heat gun). spray..soak with WD40.... took a few heat cycles.. but it came off. I cleaned up years of gunk on the sprocket side..... went to remove the shift shaft.. and apparently the PO last adjusted the drive chain dur'n the peanut farmers administration... it took some time hand file'n the nasty grooves before I could slide the shaft out.
Also, lets all agree who ever clues the clutch cover gasket should be shot.
Media blast... 2nd over pistons, valve work.... seals.. gaskets.. etc etc.. the usually... then we'll paint the top half... then crate and ship. If we discover any " ugly " or PO stupid.... I'll post.

Back