XS2 Front brake master cylinder re-build kit

nairb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
The last of the known faults is the front brake. I thought I might as well try it with some fresh brake fluid. Nothing dooin. No fluid getting thru. Decided to take it apart and check the seals. Its stood for years and the MC had been all clogged up. It came apart quite easily.
The middle seal had broken up and the rest was clogged up.
Ok, I will get a repair kit....... Having looked around the forums it seems difficult to get one for an 1972 XS2.
MikesXS does not have one that looks like the one that came out of my XS2. In fact I have not seen any kits (P/n 1A0-W0041-00) that look correct.
Is the way forward to buy a new MC thats a close replica. Not what I would like.... but is there a re-built kit for the xs2.
I have attached a pic of the existing bits from the MC.

Attachments

• xs2 mc bits.jpg
    xs2 mc bits.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 326
Hi, I have the m/c as you have on my 72 ,the only place I have seen that says they sell them is Yambits uk.
I haven't tried to order one yet but I will be doing in the next few weeks,their website says they have them price about £39.
Make sure you order the right size 5/8" is the one we need.
I also need the caliper seals and pistons ,have you found those yet?

Yellowdog..... I have seen the ones on Yambits, its just that the kit does not look anything like whats just come off the xs2. But as long as its a suitable replacement then I guess its the best UK option. Not cheap tho.
So far I have gotten most of the new parts from Heiden Tuning. He dosent seem to have a rebuild kit for the xs2 m/c.
My m/c does not have the 5/8"stamp on it but I have measured the size of the piston and it looks like I have a 5/8"m/c
My xs2 had the front brake caliper missing.... so I had to buy a replacement. So I have not needed to sort out any spares for it – just as well I think.

Its good to see that somebody else has a Red/White xs2 in the UK.

Mine has 5/8 stamped on it with the brake switch lever built in ,I wonder if yours has been replaced at some point with a newer one which are in 12 or 14 mm I think,if it is they are a bit cheaper and easier to find ,I also need new brake hoses any ideas about what to get ?

Here is a pic of my m/c. Nothing to say what size it is. Looks to be the original m/c..... but 40 years is a long time and may well have been switched early on. But did come with the brake light switch so looks to be correct. I may phone up yambits to see if they can shine some light on the problem. I dont want to forkout 35+ quid for a rebuild kit to find its no good.

Those brake hose (2) I bought from Heiden Tuning. They fitted straight on. I had spent more than 150 euro's so the postage was free. The postage is a bit high for small orders. Buying from the USA is costly after paying the import duties + bail bond + tax as we both know.

Attachments

• xs2 mc bits 2.jpg
    xs2 mc bits 2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 275
Back