XS2 front wheel respoking

Just a couple shots of a stock XS2 wheel and DB's side by side. Nothing is leaping out at me. Both you are certain the rim is XS2 not XS1 or 1B (clutching at straws)
View attachment 160727 View attachment 160728 View attachment 160729
If you follow the line of the spoke to the hub, it looks like you have the spokes in the wrong holes in the hub. From an inner spoke on one side of the hub count how many holes between its opposing spoke on the other side, then count on an original wheel and see if it’s the same, my guess yours will be one less. This will explain why your spokes seem too long. I will count mine tomorrow and let you know

2DAE0363-2224-413E-99C7-4C993C8D9943.jpeg
Like this

As you can see the inner spoke on one side of the valve goes to the blue mark, the inner spoke at the other side of the valve hole goes in the hole on the other side of the hub 5 and a half holes around. I say 5 and a half because the holes on either side of the hub are interspaces. When I build wheels I only put the inners in first then check run out and ovality, then the outers. Hope it helps.
0BB1E386-EC40-4F03-897A-3FFC4086F474.jpeg

Hi

I’ve measured the new spokes and they are 185mm

The rim has been rechromed so hard to read but I think the numbers are 222, is that possible?

Ant

DogBunny I think the your rim with the bentish spokes is not a XS2 rim. Yours ends with 201. I have 3 and all end with 202.
2A202, 2B202 and 2E202.
Gary's 3 rims also end with 202
GLJ, I think you might be on to something. Would explain my wheel. I intend to investigate further.

Hi

The rim has been rechromed so hard to read but I think the numbers are 222, is that possible?

Ant
I'm out of town again. When I get home at the end of the week I'll look and see if I have any loose XS2 spokes laying around. If so I'll measure and let you know the length of them.

As you can see the inner spoke on one side of the valve goes to the blue mark, the inner spoke at the other side of the valve hole goes in the hole on the other side of the hub 5 and a half holes around. I say 5 and a half because the holes on either side of the hub are interspaces. When I build wheels I only put the inners in first then check run out and ovality, then the outers. Hope it helps. View attachment 161132
Rasputin, thanks for the pictures. Somehow I missed them until now. Yes, this might be my problem. Something else that I will look into.

Perhaps you have the inner and outer spokes mixed up. If you look at the bend on the hub end of the spoke the inners are less than 90*. The outers are more than 90*. This more than 90*bend of the outer gets the spoke pointed toward the rim. The inners don't need that much bend to point at the rim.
Leo

This is a stainless spoke from Mikes. I do not know exactly how a spoke should be measured. To me it looks like 184 to 185 mm.
upload_2020-3-5_18-15-8.png
upload_2020-3-5_18-16-37.png

upload_2020-3-5_18-17-28.png

Yes, that's usually how spokes are measured, from the inside of the bent end down to the threaded tip. Any ruler can be used but they do make special ones for this. Most are for bicycles but work just fine for motorcycle spokes too. Being the tool junky I am, I had to have one, lol .....

full

full

Humm, just laced my '72's ft.rim. It is stamped 2B "202". Thought I did it correctly but all the insides on the brake (right)side too loose/long as are the outers on that side. Looking at Rasputin's photo,I can only assume that the nipple end of the #1 inside has it's top/head end one hole too low (if valve pointing at 3 o'clock. That head is right fractionally on top over the valve hole level. Also seems if i got the #1 wrong...they all come back out. Time for a beer @ 5:17 PM.:banghead:
+

Yep, one beer did the trick...and moving all the spokes clock wise one hole made all the nipple thread tips come right to the edge of their nipple holes. They all finger tightened the same amount, Factory zinc n yellow cad ft spokes. ... I recall hesitating on the # 1 inner spoke insertion. I went ahead anyway. I know my spokes now!

20150510_140845.jpg

you don't want to know ;-)
So I'll tell you anyway.
The pattern is the common cross one or space two. lots of different terminology meaning the same thing.
I load all the spokes at once and zip tie them at the crossover.
I have a hole in a bench with a vertical shaft and a set screw on a collar that I can lift with a foot pedal.
I load the spokes, zip tie, drop the rim over the top, raise the hub so the spokes clear the rim, start about anywhere and oscillate the rim into the spokes as I lower the hub to the bench.
This also makes offsets easy as all I have to do is stick spacers under the rim and or hub while on the bench.
Once I have the bench un buried this spring I promise pics.

Just don't ask me about truing a wheel. I suck at it. I could never make a living at it.

Back