XS2 Headlight Wiring

xs2guy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a nice XS2 that I had all the tins repainted, everything worked fine until I removed the headlight shell. I assembled it all back together, all wires have their original wire ends and correct color coding. The bike only wants to turn over with the left turn signal on. IDK what happened, there are no splices in the shell area, I never messed with any other wires on the bike, did I possibly break a wire that I can not see. Anyone ran into this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Hello, I have a nice XS2 that I had all the tins repainted, everything worked fine until I removed the headlight shell. I assembled it all back together, all wires have their original wire ends and correct color coding. The bike only wants to turn over with the left turn signal on. IDK what happened, there are no splices in the shell area, I never messed with any other wires on the bike, did I possibly break a wire that I can not see. Anyone ran into this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

You have obviously re-connected some wires incorrectly. In the "Tech" section there is a wiring diagram for the XS2. Use a VOM and the diagram to find out where you are losing voltage to the starter relay (solenoid). Looks like your bike has a ground on one side of the starter relay, and gets battery voltage via the starter PB and the Safety Relay.

it's very easy to mistake the left side "Dark Chocolate" (dark brown) turn signal wire for a black ground wire... fits your symptoms too :laugh:

Thanks for the info guys! I will get to work on it in under a month, bike is in storage 1600 miles away from me right now. I hope a wire didnt break in the harness when I took it apart also. I never touched the wiring harness anywhere else on the bike, I also might go and clean and check all the grounds on it also. I cant wait to get back and finish this bike. I will repost when I get back to it. Thanks!

Back