1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

xS2 motor installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sparkyduc, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Sparkyduc

Sparkyduc XS650 Enthusiast

I am working to assemble my XS2 and I have got it to a rolling chassis.
    Is it best to install the wiring harness before installing the motor or the other way around.
    Just wanted to know what works best, I am dreading reinstalling the motor in my freshly powder coated frame and I don’t want to do it twice

2. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I would install the motor first, working around the harness would be a pain.
    Lots of threads here about installing motors, what works for me is to lay the motor on its right side and place the frame over it, but if you have heavy items like wheels etc already on it, you may have to lift it into the upright frame.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    YamadudeXS650C, Raymondo and Mailman like this.
  3. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    Motor first then everything else.

Raymondo, Mailman and lakeview like this.
  4. Sparkyduc

Thanks guys, I can always depend on this forum to get an answer that comes from experience

5. Raymondo

Raymondo XS650 owner, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

When I fitted the engine, I wrapped old towels around all sections of frame between the engine mounts. Paid particular attention to the upright at the rear. Held it all in place with masking tape.

YamadudeXS650C likes this.
  6. Sparkyduc

Thanks for the idea. I’ll definitely do that!

Raymondo likes this.