XS2 Survivor resurection.

Hey! How’d I miss seeing this thread before! I just ran across it. What a great score Greg, the bike looks great and such good compression! Good sleuthing on that advance rod, that would’ve had me scratching my head for a while. You sure you don’t want that big comfy butt bucket for long trips? :laugh2: We may have to change your user name to TwomanyXS2’s. :D

Got the shop cleaned up and benches cleared off. Needed room to set parts when they come off it.
Started working on it today. Wanted to get the exhaust off. Have run into a snag. The muffler "nuts" don't want to move. Also have a broken clamp.
What is the best way to get the nuts off. I do not have the correct wrench to fit them. Don't think it would matter as I've tapped them with a punch and hammer and they are froze. Time, patience and rust penetrate? Add heat? O bit the bullet an slit them?
upload_2021-9-30_17-45-44.png

If I have to cut them not a big deal. In the last load of parts (junk) I brought home was 2 nut plus a clamp. They look to clean up just fine for a survivor.
upload_2021-9-30_18-7-39.png

:eek: (gasp) Ruin a perfectly good part. Blasphemy I say!!
Blasphemy, Absolutely!

Gary just beat me by seconds in mentioning vibration; I would give the nut a slight whack in the counterclockwise with an appropriate drift every few hours. I would give it at least three days.

I made a spanner to fit the serrations on the nut. some beating around it to help crack loose the rust can help.

give the nut a slight whack in the counterclockwise with an appropriate drift every few hours. I would give it at least three days.
I'll give it time since (I hope) time is on my side. I've beat around on the nut and tried to knock it both directions several times. In a day or so I'll probably try a propane torch plus more beatings.
Just like at a place I used to work at " The beatings will continue until things improve".

I'll give them 3 or 4 days of progressively harder taps, plus some heat. Then I'll go nuclear on them.
I can start on other things.
If I was in a hurry they would have been off by now.

I'm not an engineer, but from what I've read, it is the vibration of the interfacing metal surfaces and rust particles that is the effective part of a whack, rather than the amount of exerted force in the direction of removal. And this vibration allows for increasing amounts of the penetrant to flow inwards.
I think an air chisel with a blunt/flat hammer bit set at a very high rpm (a "humming" vibration) would be most effective.

Last edited:
Back