XS400 or XS500?

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking at smaller bikes to get my girlfriend back into riding. She knows how, but its been a while.
There are a couple of really clean XS's that have popped up near me.

The 500 is a 1975 model and is all original but hasn't been on the road recently. It's very nice and wouldn't take much. It's also a little less expensive.

The 400 is a 1979 and is currently on the road and has had a good bit of work done recently. It's the mag wheel/rear disc model and is stock except for points replacement, bars and mufflers. It's ready to ride but $5-600 more expensive.

If you were choosing between the 400 and 500 models, which would you pick and why?

Of course, we're also getting really close to GS500 money here. That's a more modern, get on it and go type bike that's good enough for a returning rider and she might not "out grow" it as quickly.

I would go with the XS400. Much better support, check out our sister site XS400.com The XS500 was only built for a couple years and had lots of issues in those few years The XS400 was built about as long as the XS650.
The GS500 is another good option. Nice bike.
Leo

The Suzuki GS500 would be my pick; a 2000 GS500E is the third bike in my stable, alongside the XS650D and Kawasaki Ninja 650. Very reliable, but keep an eye on the automatic cam chain adjuster and valve clearance (as with most motors with a shim tappet system, valve clearance tightens with wear). The only defect I found is the stock fork--seriously overdamped and undersprung, delivered quite a jolt on sharper bumps. Cartridge emulators and stiffer straight rate springs cured it. My motor is bone stock and has no trouble maintaining 70-plus mph Interstate cruising speeds. I rode the little bike from Carbondale, IL to the Dogwood Rally at Stecoah, NC in 2014, and it never missed a beat.

His question concerned Yamahas. The 500 is bigger & more comfy, but had head cracking problems, among others. Parts are a problem. The 400 is easier on parts with no real built in flaws. A bit lighter as well, I'd go with that. I worked on a few, and every one ran too lean at idle. A slight modification of the adjustment screw, eliminating it's stop point, let me back it out farther and cures that nagging little problem. Yamahas back then, IMO, had better electrics than the rest.

You just corrected the OP on what his question was, Wease; I'm sure he appreciates the reminder.

Re. the EX500, Scott, you're looking at a bike with liquid cooling, considerably more power, a fairing, and higher price for equivalent condition. I don't know of any reliability issues. Kawasaki hardware isn't quite as good as what you find on a Yamaha or Suzuki. The stock Kawi suspension tends to work better. The other bikes you've mentioned will take a drop without as much risk of expensive damage; no fairing or radiator to take a hit.

Have you ever thought of Hondas? They need people like you. They can absorb the riff-raff. I've watched and seen your posts on these 650 forums over the years. They don't make much sense to me. You ask stupid questions then do anything you want any way. HINT HINT

Have you ever thought of Hondas? They need people like you. They can absorb the riff-raff. I've watched and seen your posts on these 650 forums over the years. They don't make much sense to me. You ask stupid questions then do anything you want any way. HINT HINT

Is this directed at me?
You, sir, have a reputation here as BEING the gruff old riff raff.
I've built several Hondas and XS650's, thank you very much. They each have their pros and cons.
I never understood the need for people to add negative input.

Yes, I just sold two VERY nice CB550's.....too nice for a returning rider to get on and have an incident.
I saw a couple of $1500-2200 bikes in the XS family pop up locally and thought maybe I could get some constructive input here. And when you start getting around the $1600-2500 range, then bikes such as the GS 500 and Ninja 500 are viable options for a novice rider, so I also asked about those.

If your post wasn't directed at me, then disregard.

5Twins,

Scott is a very good friend of mine and a riding buddy. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about regarding Scott. He has rebuilt numerous XS650's, Honda CB500's and CB550's and is currently restoring a BMW. The beta test version of the PAMCO CB750 ignition was first installed on one of Scotts CB500's. He managed to get a XS400 going for me when I developed the XS400 PAMCO ignition. His restoration work on these bikes is impeccable, so you have either just had a bad day or you are confusing Scott with someone else, but in any event you owe Scott an apology, and if you did simply confuse Scott with someone else, your comments would still be inappropriate for this forum, so apologize anyway.

I'm looking at smaller bikes to get my girlfriend back into riding. She knows how, but its been a while. - - -

Hi Scottie,
ooh, what an innocent question to start a nasty squabble over, eh?
And on Easter Sunday, too.
What I'd do to re-start a lady's riding career would be to get the bike that weighed the least.

Did you swap girlfriends?

I'm currently working on a '75/'78 resto project. There's also an '85 FJ600 in the garage that belongs to my girlfriend.
P2010096.jpg

P7030103Small.jpg

You just sold 2 of the nicest 550's ever made. What was wrong with one of those

Is this directed at me?
You, sir, have a reputation here as BEING the gruff old riff raff.
I've built several Hondas and XS650's, thank you very much. They each have their pros and cons.
I never understood the need for people to add negative input.

Yes, I just sold two VERY nice CB550's.....too nice for a returning rider to get on and have an incident.
I saw a couple of $1500-2200 bikes in the XS family pop up locally and thought maybe I could get some constructive input here. And when you start getting around the $1600-2500 range, then bikes such as the GS 500 and Ninja 500 are viable options for a novice rider, so I also asked about those.

If your post wasn't directed at me, then disregard.

I asked a question because you were bantering around other bikes other than the thread heading. I also asked because i was wondering why you would sell a good 500 and be looking at some that would require work and maybe have reliability issues, especially when it was for your girlfriend.

I was actually interested in one of the Hondas, but the exchange rate had dropped dramatically, taking the bikes out of reach and putting them at the top of the market over here.

I was in no way try to put you on the spot or be negative.

The GF that rode the FJ is gone, and the FJ was sold long before that (she rode one of the many CB's I've built and owned).

I sold the CB550's because... Well, it doesn't really matter why....but I just needed to simplify. I found myself owning multiple bikes.

The new GF has ridden in the past but its been a few years. She's interested in getting back into it. There's no way I would send her out on a pristine bike like the 550's were. Plus, she's rather tiny and short of inseam. I thought something like the XS400 might fit better.

I'm sort of leaning towards a Ninja 500 or GS 500 right now. Modern enough to be trouble free, powerful enough to last a couple of years and hit the highway, affordable enough to justify grabbing one.

And 650Skull, that earlier reply was more directed towards 5Twins. You asked a reasonable question. I just answered it in the same post is all.

- - - The new GF has ridden in the past but its been a few years. She's interested in getting back into it. There's no way I would send her out on a pristine bike like the 550's were. Plus, she's rather tiny and short of inseam. I thought something like the XS400 might fit better. - - -

Hi Scottie,
for that particular GF specification you might do worse than the oddly mis-named Suzuki Savage.

"Not your preference" shouldn't it be the GF's preference?
I have an 80 Honda CM400. It would make a not to bad restarter bike. It weighs around 370 lbs. It can zip along at speeds up to 85 MPH with my 185 lbs. on board. A bit more with someone of less mass.
It has a slightly cruiser look. It has a stepped seat and high narrow bars. It has the front drum brake but works very well.
The light weight makes it a lot of fun to fling around on the two lane back roads.
It has been very reliable for the past few years. The only real issue was the charging system, The stator took a crap on one leg. A $20 salvage yard replacement and charges great. The carbs need a cleaning.
I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch but more of a option of a bike to look for.
Leo

I second gs500. I got a naked gs500 going again for a friend. Pretty good bike for the 1500 he paid for it. But xs400 over xs500 any day if you go that route.

Back