Xs500 ali wheels

Leslie

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lads,
I have ascertained a set of XS500 twin disc front and single disc rear Mag wheels
The front is 1.85 X 19 and my XS650 spindle fits, is it just a case of fitting the twin disc's and calipers and Ha Ho away we go, although the calipers didn't come with the wheel so I will have to find a left hand one as i only have the right hand of my original XS650 spoked wheel.

XS500WHEELSFRONT.jpg
[/IMG]

The rear is 21.5 X 18 disc brake wheel, my existing XS650 rear wheel spindle (20mm diameter) and too big for my new XS500 rear wheel which has a internal dimension for the spindle of 17mm diameter.

XS500WHEELSREARSPINDLE.jpg
[/IMG]

Is it as simple has machining the XS500 wheel out to fit the XS650 20mm spindle.

Any suggestions or comments welcome, or even better has anyone got a set of XS650 alis as per the photo they would sell and ship to the UK.

Leslie

XS500WHEELSREAR.jpg
[/IMG]

Just changing bearings would probably be the easiest route. You may need to make a new spacer for between the bearing inside the wheel as well (to fit on a 20mm axle).

Just changing bearings would probably be the easiest route. You may need to make a new spacer for between the bearing inside the wheel as well (to fit on a 20mm axle).

Change the bearings to 650 bearings I take it the bearing recess is the same as the 650 so they just slot in,

Spacers does that mean the XS500 mag wheel is narrower than the spoked 650 wheel I am replacing, and the spacers will have to go between the bearings and the inside of the swing arm to make up the gap.

Bear with me 5 as i am new to bike builds:laugh:

Leslie

I don't know if the 650 bearings will swap right in, that's something you'll need to research. It's quite simple really. There are charts that give the O.D., I.D., and thickness of bearings according to the bearing number.

There is a spacer inside the hub between the 2 bearings. It needs to be a certain exact length so that it fits snug between the inner races of the 2 bearings and keeps them from being pressed in too far when you tighten the axle. Your current spacer in there is made to fit on a 17mm axle. You will probably need a new one that will fit on a 20mm axle.

Thats magic 5,,,thanks for that mate.

I hope that the O/D of the bearings are the same.

Or I will have too try and buy a set of XS650 Mag wheels twin disc front single disc rear the only problem is they are as rare as Rocking horse shit!!!! across this side of the pond

The other problem is you can't get a 650 rear mag w/disc in an 18" size, they only made 16s. If you want an 18" rear w/disc, doing what you're doing (custom fitting) is about the only way.

One more thing you should be aware of. Both the 650 and 500 wheel use a spacer sleeve pressed into the left side (sprocket side) bearing. The bearing I.D. is actually larger than the axle and this sleeve sizes it down to fit the axle. It is "T" or top hat shaped so it has a lip on the back side. That lip acts as part of the spacing between the inside of the 2 bearings. This spacer is N.L.A. (no longer available) so you'll need to scrounge one or make the other spacer between the bearings longer to compensate. What I'm getting at is that if you take the spacer out of the 500 bearing, it may leave you with a 20mm hole and fit the 650 axle.

Anybody in XS land know what other bikes the mag wheels in this thread were fitted to, they look like RD400 wheels but i am sure Yamaha would of used them on several other models.

Leslie

Leslie, I think the better choice is the RD400 over the XS500, being that it is a little heavier in the hub center, although they look the same. I just assumed you already had the xs500 wheels, and they will fit. But you need to have a friend with a machine shop, or long arms to reach into deep pockets to have work done. For the rear the bearings and seals can be matched up at any brg supply place or a place that rebuilds electric motors, I have the numbers here somewhere, just can't find them at the moment. I kept the 20mm axle, some Spacers have to be made up for the right side, between brg and caliper mount, and another between mount and swingarm. The left side spacer has to be machined down as well, then a spacer has to be made to go inside the hub between the brgs, of the exact size. Once you get all that done a sprocket adaptor will have to be made, because the 500 wheel is not wide enough through the center, about 8mm or so thick. You will have to do some fairly precise measurement work to get it right. Do a search over on the garage site, there is an adaptor drawing already made up by Slide, and info on how to go about the mod. So are you still going to go ahead with it.

Back