XS500???

Robert Reed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anybody here have any experience with the XS500?

Anything especially good or bad about them?

Came across this one locally, asking price is $300.
00F0F_j6rVXH7B3KQ_600x450.jpg

MEH unless you like project orphans, later is better? there was a head? issue with 73,74, fixed for 75??? Something like that, do your research FIRST.

I'm not sure you can even find an oil filter for that anymore. I always liked those, but they had too many gremlins in the early TX, and in 75 they decided to call it an XS. I don't think they got ironed out until 77-78. So even a full on resto would not mean you got a bike you'd like.

Personally, I think they're kind of a piece of junk, lol. But, they are a good source for 650 parts. I've acquired 3 over the years and just stripped them for useful parts. This is the last one I picked up a couple years ago for $25, the 2 earlier ones were free .....

ehr1fcd.jpg

Useful 650 parts include the turn signals, handlebar controls, seat/helmet lock (all the locks actually), brake discs and calipers. The carbs on this '77 model are very similar to the '76-'77 BS38s and it may be possible to adapt them. If not, they have a lot of common parts .....

Q1NiVMS.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed - the XS500 was not a particularly good motorcycle in the first place and now it would be a true nightmare to find parts to complete the restoration.

A school buddy had one of these (I think it was a '74) and I could stay with him in a drag or roll-on contest on my 1975 Honda CB360T. The other model in the "YamaDUD" series was the TX750 - and my 1975 XS650B could EAT that bike for lunch anytime.

As Gary says - it was amazing that Yamaha put such weak products on the market, particularly when they had the knowhow to do a really good bike like the XS650.

Pete

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Even though the seller has informed me that this one is a '76 it looks like this is one to walk away from.

I do kind of dig that square tank though.....

It was quite advanced for it's time. It had an 8 valve head and dual overhead cams. But in my opinion, that's just more stuff to go wrong, lol. You don't find too many runners anymore. Most are like what you ran across. Sometimes, simpler is better, like our 650.

If you could get the thing cheap enough, you could harvest some decent parts for repairs to a good 650 or possibly a custom / cafe bike......

Yes, I think that's about all they're good for, lol. Besides the parts mentioned, you can also "harvest" a small coffee can full of metric nuts and bolts. Many of the bolts Yamaha used were unique. Besides being J.I.S. type, many had numbers stamped on the heads. The 8mm bolts in particular were like this. Besides the smaller (J.I.S.) 12mm wrench size head, they had a 6 or 9 (can't say which it is, could be either) stamped on it.

For me, one of the "good score" items on some of them is the seat/helmet lock. It's the same one used on some of the 650s, and is often missing (mine was). My buddy has lost a couple already and the last one he bought cost him $20. So, I figure I got almost my whole $25 back just from that one part, lol .....

4I6NCkA.jpg

jgiJa6t.png

For me, one of the "good score" items on some of them is the seat/helmet lock. It's the same one used on some of the 650s, and is often missing (mine was). My buddy has lost a couple already and the last one he bought cost him $20. So, I figure I got almost my whole $25 back just from that one part, lol .....
Also, the 18" rear wheel is a good replacement for the 16" disc braked mags on the Specials

Back