XS650 70's style chopper need to run more oil?

catfish33

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of how my bike is sitting (stance wise) right now. Should I run a little extra oil in to prevent oil starvation?
IMG_0153.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent idea, bbillington and I just talked about this recently, the dip stick is at the very rear the pump pick up is at the front. I once bought a SOHC Honda 750 chopper that had toasted it's (shell type) main bearings for the same reason.

Any chance I could run TOO much oil? Should I go like 1/2" more up the dipstick maybe? 1"?

Yes you can run too much oil and mess up your motor. Now this is just me talking out of my ass but I would take a level at the bottom of your motor and measure how many inches the front is higher than the back now, figuring the half way point and use that as a guide. That's what I would do as to not overfill. Again Ii have no real idea just my personal opinion

Sounds reasonable. Does anyone know where the oil pick up is in one of these motors?

Sounds reasonable. Does anyone know where the oil pick up is in one of these motors?

Excellent idea, bbillington and I just talked about this recently, the dip stick is at the very rear the pump pick up is at the front. I once bought a SOHC Honda 750 chopper that had toasted it's (shell type) main bearings for the same reason.

~ Derek

Will anyone read this?

Yes and you should too before you run it. The sump plate under and slightly in front of the crankshaft is held in by 6 bolts, remove it, the sump filter filter is bolted to it, all the oil enters the oil pump through this filter. Odds are it is torn. Read a bazzilion threads on what to do about that.

Guess I should have phrased that better. Actually know where that filter is. Just trying to figure out a new oil level in the bike. Sounds like I need to measure kindof like Detale recommended and get a difference front to back and add a mark that much higher on my dipstick?

Thinking about this the other day, When my 80SG is on the center-stand the rear wheel is about 75mm, (3in), my 74TXA is 40mm, (1 3/4in), off the ground, ( true reading for the oil level). How much does the hard-tail frame drop at the rear? If the hard tail frame lowers the rear.....say 2-3in from a standard framed XS, that is a drop in the rear of close to 6in to take an oil level reading, (no center-stand), if you leave the front the same it has to be tilting the engine a hell of a way to the back, worse if the forks are extended.

Will that cause the transmission bearings to have to much oil around them as well as starving the big ends?

Would like to just put a side cover with the sight glass on it and use that as my oil level gauge. thought about adding a sight glass to my cover but I need some accurate measurements off of one with the glass to determine where to put it.

Guess I should have phrased that better. Actually know where that filter is. Just trying to figure out a new oil level in the bike. Sounds like I need to measure kindof like Detale recommended and get a difference front to back and add a mark that much higher on my dipstick?

True way would be to jack the back wheel up level as though the bike was a normal frame on a center-stand, fill it up then take another reading when you sit it down, and work from there.

looking at your bike the motor leans back a long way

Attachments

• P1160123.jpg
    P1160123.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Not really because the dipstick is towards the rear while the pick up is forward of that. so even if I leveled the engine filled to full, when I let it down it then read high.

True, but how else can you do it. when it reads overfull you have to remove oil till it reads right on the stick, you then know how much oil you have taken out so put that amount back in over and above the true level.

Back