XS650/750 Engine Modification Guide

I was one of the first customers. It's VERY good, whether you use your bike on the street or track, highly recommend you get one.

I have a copy (somewhere) ... read it agreed with some things and disagreed with others. Let me see if I can dig it out of the garage archives and get it posted ...:smoke:

Yup, posting it is like stealing cable tv. It's a very good guide, anyone who can't spring for $35 won't be doing much motor work anyway.

If you want to pee with the big dogs, you gotta walk in the tall grass ......

Just having an ole timer around like me must be fun while all of you play hotrodder for a bit of time with these ole things......ah what would I know.....LOL

Another enemy besides what all the hopping up does to these is 5th gear and the dogs which can come off and destroy the transmission and other things as they exit…ratcheting due to the ratty running "non-smooth" and even more so on hoped up designs can lead to failure…may not happen with lower mileage engines tomorrow but as the miles grows...if these designs can even go that far so does the metal fatigue on the 5th gear dogs……not anything to worry about though ah...... look closely at 5th gear and see the shift fork groove and the dogs on the outside of that groove with very poor support....weakest gear in the trans with the most load at higher speeds......not in the guide for sure......lol

xsjohn

Last edited:
Back