XS650 Brake Cable

parkslope96

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a '77 XS650 - I am replacing the stock bars with 15" bars. I got the +6" cables (it came with two, I assume for throttle and clutch?) and I cannot seem to find anyone who has a brake cable long enough. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to try and rig it up? Or a place to find one? I know some guys dont have font brakes, but I dont trust the back one enough.

I am in the Columbus area if anyone knows a shop for additional work as well.

Any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks.
David

Not exactly close, but Dan at Pandemonium is in Defiance, OH. ABOUT 2 hours northwest of Columbus.

Your 77 won't have brake cables. A throttle cable yes, brake no. The front brake being a disc brake uses fluid, so it nees a brake hose.
Lots of places sell brake lines that can be bought and many lengths. One easy way to figure out how long the brake line needs to be is once you have the bars where you want them with the M/C installed is to use a piece of hose. Gas line works well. A piece of old garden hose will. Place one end of hose at M/C then run the hose down to the caliper. Don't make any sharp bend and do thius with the front wheel of the ground if you can. Then mark the hose wjere it meets the caliper. Measure the length of the hose from the end to the mark.
Buy the Braided stainless steel line that measures the same or the next length a bit longer. Buy it with the end fittings at about the same degree of bend as the stock hoses.
This new line will fit from the M/C to the caliper in one pice. No junction block at the lower tree.
This single hose. will bleed easier and have less places for leaks.
On the throttle cable I think you can find them online too. Places like Pandimomium, TC BRO's, HHB, To name a few.
Leo

@willis - thanks for the recommendation, it needs some overall work, so I will be reaching out to Dan for some help.

@XSLeo - both the front and back are drum brakes, so maybe mine isn't truly a '77. It does have a brake line, not hose. After I throw the handle bars and clutch cable on, I think I am going to take it up to that chopper shop that Willis mentioned.

Thank you both for the help though - much appreciated.

Keep em on two!
David

Stock, your '77 had a hydraulic disc front brake. All 650s from '72 on up had them. If you have a drum brake then that's been swapped on there. To find an extended cable, or any cable for it for that matter, you'll need to figure out what bike it came from. If you post some pics of it, maybe we can help identify it.

Back