Ccatt42

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 79xs650 bobber ive been building. I have pods and low backpressure exhaust. I had my left cylinder burning super hot, so i swapped the stock jets for 140 mains, now its still running super hot, but its black sooting now, so tomorrow ill raise the pilot jets up a bit. And lower the main to 137.5, so im kinda at a loss, burning hot means lean but black soot means rich. My right cylinder is burning super cool, after it runs for a few minutes the head pipe is warm at best, so obviously i need to lean that one out a bit, ill swap the spark plugs out tomorrow as well, and gap the new ones correctly any helpful info would be greatly appreciated

Your right cylinder isn't firing, but may be washing with continual raw gas applications 2-3 mins at a time.
The term washing is what I'm using to describe what happens to the protective oil film between your rings and cylinder walls.
The gas is removing that film, washing it off.
Is your oil starting to smell "gassy"?
Can you collect enough raw gas in the exhaust to eventually cause a bit of excitement when it fires off?

Ccatt42; ............................why are you running 2 threads at the same time on the same problems? This just adds confusion, and does not help you solve the issues.

Because he is in a new environment and isn't familiar?
A little slack and tact could nurture a new member?
Let your carrot be bigger than your stick.

Hi Ccatt,
yeah, best you meld these two threads into one as us old farts get confused real easy.

Your right cylinder isn't firing, but may be washing with continual raw gas applications 2-3 mins at a time.
The term washing is what I'm using to describe what happens to the protective oil film between your rings and cylinder walls.
The gas is removing that film, washing it off.
Is your oil starting to smell "gassy"?
Can you collect enough raw gas in the exhaust to eventually cause a bit of excitement when it fires off?
The right cylinder is drowning its self conpletely, its literally dripping off, the exhaust pipe. The gas is not igniting in the exhaust, the oil honestly doesnt smell like gas. Maybe just a hair gassy,

Back