XS650 Clutch cable experiments and tidbits

You are an encyclopedia my man! where's the treatise on cable elbow straightening?
I'm doing a post on cable routing that is working for me and a few others on "specials" with shorter handle bars installed.

... where's the treatise on cable elbow straightening?

Hey, gggGary! Here's 5Twins post on that cable elbow straightening:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42447&postcount=18

Also, in the Clutch Worm Experiment thread, about halfway thru, is the modification to the sidecover that alters the clutch cable entry hole about 7°-8°, which allows you to run with a bit straighter elbow:

Clutch worm actuator experiment and tidbits

... I'm doing a post on cable routing that is working for me and a few others on "specials" with shorter handle bars installed.

Great! Seems that a lot of folks are going in that direction. Are you re-routing to the right side of the frame, to reduce the cable bend at the headtube?

Status update.

It's been over 2 years since implementing these cable mods, so, time for a report.

This post, #30, shows what the cable situation was back in 2014:

Status update.

Riding around during our temporary reprieve of winter weather, hoping to break-in this new cable.

Pull force still at 10.5 pounds, but clutch worm travel has risen to 0.054".

Updated Score values, mills per pound:

# Score Travel Pull - Description
#9: 4.1 0.058" 14.0 - Ultimate XS worm, 1.65" clevis hole distance, mod cable entry angle.
#A: 5.1 0.054" 10.5 - Configuration #9, New/modified Motion Pro cable, settling-in.

The score value nudged up a little to 5.1.

I was hoping for this, expecting that the cable would settle-in and start conforming to its routing curves.

Video of clutch lever action:

Also, running the new pushrod made from 304 stainless. The heat-up expansion is less now, requires 1 turn of the handlebar adjuster to return to original clutch action.

Continuing the experiment.

By now, after about 1000 miles of riding (I don't ride that much anymore), this cable and associated gadgetry should be well settled-in.

Measured the pull force, still at 10.5 pounds, but clutch worm travel has risen even more to 0.058".

#9: 4.1 0.058" 14.0 - Ultimate XS worm, 1.65" clevis hole distance, mod cable entry angle.
#A: 5.1 0.054" 10.5 - Configuration #9, New/modified Motion Pro cable, settling-in.
#B: 5.5 0.058" 10.5 - Configuration #A, over 2 years later

The score value nudged up a little to 5.5.

Looks like the cable settled-in a bit more over this time.
Also been running a new pushrod made from 7075 aluminum. Will update the clutch pushrod thread.

Removed left sidecover to see how everything's holding up.

ClCbl-M01.jpg ClCbl-M02.jpg

As I was hoping, the red straw provided protection to the exposed part of the cable. Examining the part of the cable that slides through the elbow shows absolutely no dirt/grit/grime. The white Teflon grease coating is still there, uncontaminated. The idea here, with the protective straw, is to prevent crud from working its way up into the cable's elbow. Without it, the cable's in/out action is like a hummingbird or anteater's tongue, lapping up food, and pulling that into its mouth. So, this trick seems to work.

I went ahead and did a complete clean/service of all the clutch actuation parts, clutch lever pivot, cable, worm actuator. Reassembled, adjusted, and took measurements again.

The pull force dropped to 10.0 pounds, the clutch worm travel remained at 0.058".

#B: 5.5 0.058" 10.5 - Configuration #A, over 2 years later
#C: 5.8 0.058" 10.0 - Configuration #B, complete clean and servicing

The score value nudged up again to 5.8...

Last edited:
Good stuff 2M, I'll remind; smooth routing, either factory or creative to reduce bends is a big deal lots of (some hard) miles on the resto mod now with it's right of the frame cable routing, otherwise just stock slightly unbent elbow and lubed. Clutch couldn't be easier with no noticeable hot to cold changes either.

Hi, can someone please summarize what cable or cable setup is the best for our XS650's? This thread is a bit technical for some, including myself.
I just need a good clutch cable that doesn't require too much pressure when I squeeze the clutch lever while changing gears, my current cable is too hard/stiff when i squeeze the lever, tried putting oil on the cable, didn't do much.

Hope to hear from someone soon. TIA

Back