XS650 Craigslist postings depository

So.... finally got a reply....

View attachment 130330

Suggestions on how I should respond?

You should say your father retired about 5 years ago to Pagosa Springs. He will be more than interested in picking it up for his son.
Mailman is right, as 'her' reply to you is almost like the one I got from a 'her' when I responded to an ad for a '70 Chevelle.
'She' said the car was in Addison, TX. I told 'her' that my niece and her husband live in Addison and will be at 'her' house in 30 minutes. No response after that. :D

Got a response this morning....

Untitled.png

Following MR B's suggestion, I sent here the following....

Untitled2.png

Interesting to see how they lie and then don't expect the punter to notice.............Replying to a Craigslist ad and they are saying you have protections through and under ebay rules.............

Nice touch on the dead husband with a son and being a special needs nurse........Why wouldn't anyone want to give away their hard earned money to such a caring and socially committed person.......

Jim the final touch would be to send them a link to this thread...........

Great reply Jim...I was also told by a auto shipper to have the seller put my name and today's date of a piece of copy paper, place it on the seat and email a photo of it...I can't believe that I am still waiting for that pic after 3 years.:lmao:

Yeah, so I’m trying to figure out how this scam works. Is there such a thing as “ depositing your money with
eBay” ? Maybe a false account they will provide to you? I thought for sure you had heard the last of “Vanessa”.
Especially since this was a CL posting and has nothing to do with Ebay. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out...

I doubt it Marty. This bike would be a hell of a deal. Yet it's been all over the country on CL for several weeks, if not months. If it was legit, it would have long since been sold. As someone else already mentioned, this bike sold on Ebay a few months ago for about $2500.
Ebay listing

Well sumbitch.... "Vanessa" is still in the game....

untitled-png.130411

This is where the scam is coming in.........she is stating....... you pay her and when you receive the bike and then have it inspected, then and only then, you can get a refund if it is not to your liking..................

Different to her accepting a local inspection before committing to the bike...........As you asked/offered.........she has side stepped your proposal

She thinks she has you because now you haven't enforced the local inspection and have now accepted her offer by asking where to send the money............She has turned the table on you.............

??????? Why has she told......and now she is telling you, not asking, getting to the demanding part, ..........to pay her through ebay...........has she got a fake ebay page set up. These sorts of people often have fake pages set up............

Could tell her you will pay her with paypal and are prepared to pay all paypal fees.........this is a secure way of payment and they do have a 1 month where they hold the money for 30 days in case of a dispute before the seller gets the money...........that might scare her off but better still you will know if she starts to argue about how to pay..........

Last edited:
I smell the conman's frustration upscale cycle.

"I want the bike, and I trust you now, but can't figure out how to send the money, getting frustrated, and am getting desperate to send you the money."

"Oh, OK, then just put a buncha small bills, in non-serialized order, in an unmarked paper bag, and leave it under the park bench at the corner of 2nd and Elm st."...

OK, so I sent "Vanessa" my name and address (fake ones obviously) and this is her reply...
Untitled.png

And sure enough, there was an invoice from Ebay.... Notice anything odd? Yeah.... the real Ebay is a dot com address, not a dot net.... Fake Ebay.

Untitled2.png

So here's how it shakes out... I'm supposed to go to a retailer and buy $1200 worth of Ebay gift cards, and then email the fake Ebay with the (13 digit) numbers on the gift cards. The fake Ebay will then supposedly "hold" those numbers until I receive the bike and am satisfied. Once I'm happy, "ebay" will then release those numbers to "Vanessa." What could possibly go wrong.... :rolleyes:
Oh... and the "real Ebay" plainly states on its (real) website that they don't... as in nope... no way... nada... handle Craigslist transactions... never have, never will. There's so many red flags here that I'm actually amazed that anyone would fall for it. Now I gotta figure out a good reply to "Vanessa."
...and research on how to report these scams...

Last edited:
Back