XS650 Craigslist postings depository

Attachments

• C389673F-65B3-4AB9-BADE-41FC1B4B2BC7.jpeg
    C389673F-65B3-4AB9-BADE-41FC1B4B2BC7.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 132
I like how they painted the engine too...A bike of this calibre I could definitely see in my stable...

Holy Moly! I havent a problem finding turnkey bikes..The King/Queen seat is....FUGLY!
https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/rapid-city-1978-yamaha-xs650-special/6922746955.html
00q0q_4IxjXtgeGT9_1200x900.jpg

Some odd things about this bike..........Says its a 78.......Gauges, OEM electronic ignition, and BS34 carbs and hinged seat, say its an 80G........Has an 81 engine side cover, (1st year of a sight glass).

80G had wire spoke wheels, drum rear and Disk brake front. metal side cover, (same type as the Blue one), and hinged seat............

78SE had Mag wheels with Disk brakes front and back, (as this bike has), BS38 Carbs and the same gauges ............All the same as the Blue one
So there looks to be some major changes done so the mag wheels could be fitted to the bike. Not a bad thing at all, just raises questions, especially as it is claimed to be a 78............

I would be asking for engine and frame no's then verifying what the bike is..........If you get the no's ask on here and we will let you know what it is........

Last edited:
Wow.. I had no idea obviously...You have a keen eye..and you know these bikes well..Appreciate the education..

Some odd things about this bike..........Says its a 78.......Gauges, OEM electronic ignition, and BS34 carbs and hinged seat, say its an 80G........Has an 81 engine side cover, (1st year of a sight glass).

80G had wire spoke wheels, drum rear and Disk brake front. metal side cover, (same type as the Blue one), and hinged seat............

78SE had Mag wheels with Disk brakes front and back, (as this bike has), BS38 Carbs and the same gauges ............All the same as the Blue one
So there looks to be some major changes done so the mag wheels could be fitted to the bike. Not a bad thing at all, just raises questions, especially as it is claimed to be a 78............

I would be asking for engine and frame no's then verifying what the bike is..........If you get the no's ask on here and we will let you know what it is........

It also appears the motor was spray painted while assembled. Also the fins on the jugs and head are not ground and polished. I think they were done
with a silver paint pen. Not bad idea, just don't expect it to last.

Well y'all picked that apart rather easily..if i buy an XS650 i will have you all look at it first...

Yes, good idea,................The blue 78 would be the one i would be looking at if i was looking.......original, (except for the seat), some defects and history.......+ it is up for offers as well.

Yes, good idea,................The blue 78 would be the one i would be looking at if i was looking.......original, (except for the seat), some defects and history.......+ it is up for offers as well.
I agree... its just clean, an honest presentation and has good bones with its provenance..
I also like the Tucson bike almost as well...except as i noted above with those flat bars and cycloptic mirror..I like symmetry of design on my bikes....

Last edited:
The Tuscon bike would be worth a look at if only for experience............He is to wordy about what has been done to the bike. Compare the Blue sellers description to the Tuscon bikes description.........If someone has to explain the results, of a new starter gear or the coil, he is trying to convince you...........also he states he has had the cleaned carbs Multiple times ,........... That raises flags for me..............Just a, be aware type of thought and to ask questions.............Firm on the price and states he "Doesn't need help selling".......Bit arrogant is my take.

For now just looking and garnering feedback..I appreciate all your insights..My ignorance is diminishing daily... ;-)
The discalimer for not needing help selling is a commonplace term used in almost all private seller ads due to scams using carchecks or actual scams overseas..so that is par for the course...as for the rest of it..I see your points..I just like an excuse to visit Tucson.. my former home ...Thanks

Last edited:
Back