XS650 Craigslist postings depository

8CB995FC-3F6D-4A7E-B9CF-9B17CE7AD500.jpeg

Curious message received from Jim in Montana today.. hmmm are other members also inquiring into this tank? Dibs , I had an agreement to go pick it up.,
-RT
Montana??

I have a strict self imposed rule about buying on CL. If I reach a agreement on a purchase the seller must take the ad down from CL while I`m on the phone or no deal period. :cautious:

Very good policy halfmile however this situation is more complex as the seller is actually unexpectedly concerningly I’ll in the hospital. Surgery and recovering. I wish Jim’s health to recover first priority.
Deal hopefully after.. ad is down now
-Randy

This gives me a great idea. I`m going to put everything I don`t need to sell that doesn`t run on CL with a firm price.:yikes: Why didn`t I think of this before?:umm:
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/mission-1980-yamaha-xs650-special/6999655477.html
01616_1Nhf8ehAy8W_300x300.jpg

Ha! Did you ever notice that every guy with a crappy running bike , always says needs the carbs cleaned and a new battery. He probably killed the battery trying to start his bike that had some electrical problem, then threw his hands up and blamed the carburetors. Then said f**k it ! I’m buying that new Ducati that I really want!

I`m seriously looking for another XS650 but when it reads Firm, Don`t need to sell and Doesn`t Run in the first line of the ad, I never bother to read the rest.:shrug:

Sadly salvage yards here are disappearing at a alarming rate. The last auto salvage yard in my area (mentioned by 2M in a post years ago ) is now gone. My favorite bike yard was Union Cycle in north Houston in what I think was an old oil company corrugated metal shed. That's were the moniker Team Junk came from. Most of the parts on our bikes came from there.

I was very surprised when I saw this, that's not only the bike I sold about six weeks ago but that's even my garage. I've been on this forum for many, many years but never post. I bought this bike dead and with everyone's help here I brought it back to life and enjoyed it for years. It was a favorite ride and was not easy to part with but not to worry, I still have a 78 standard. Here's what it looked like the day I brought it home.
DSC01650.JPG

Sadly salvage yards here are disappearing at a alarming rate.
True in the Portland area as well.
-Road Hawk Salvage provided me with many XS parts for very cheap. :thumbsup:Closed now.
-Cycle Heap did also provide many items in the past. Now, closed Fridays & Saturdays and my most recent call was told to “check the EBay inventory”
now online parts prices are significantly higher. :thumbsdown:
-MotoCycle remains a very personal satisfying visit and search policy but they really do not pursue older bikes such as ours.
Online marketing by the cycle salvage yards has really increased the parts prices and reduced local availability.

Last edited:
G rand 1 , lol ! and what color 78E do you have ? Pic ?
-RT
It's green but the only side covers I could find are blue. All the mechanical work is complete but I had to stop working on it when I ran into a marathon of medical problems. Five unrelated surgeries and a bout of Leukemia in a year and a half. And it's not over yet. The bike runs perfect though. Thanks again to all those on this forum.
78E.jpg

Very nice g rand 1 :D
Finally another green 78E has turned up to see !
Stick around on the site cuz you never know where or when covers will show up. You might even work a trade on those nice 77 blue covers.
Best wishes -R

Back