XS650 custom shop. Nor Cal.

Metal

XS650 Custom shop
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just wanted to let you all know I'm taking customers for the following services. I'm based out of Stockton CA. I'm close to San Francisco and Sacramento. My rate is $40 per hour plus parts and materials.
Frame Fabrication
Engine Building
Carb Rebuild
Wheel Building
Fork lowering
Custom front end and brake setup
scratch built fabrication of any part of the bike.

Happy to take work from out of town also.

Some of my work
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I finished up fabrication on this bike today. It
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 12.00.14 PM.png
came to me as a stock xs650. The customer wanted to do the finish work himself so it going home this weekend.
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.55.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.56.12 AM.png

From my thread on interest in a hydraulic slave cylinder. located here - http://www.xs650.com/threads/hydraulic-clutch-intrest.48726/

Ok Guys time to put your money where your mouth is lol.

I've created a "Gofund Me" account to get the first run of 10 units off the ground. The Price will be $200 plus shipping. The Slave Cylinder will be produced and shipped as soon as the first run is paid for. Shipping in the US will be a flat rate of $7. Outside of the US please let me know your address so I can get back to you (keep in mind this thing is only 1inch x 2inch) so shipping should be cheap.

The Slave cylinder will come complete with an o-ring, mounting hardware, a ball bearing to seat the clutch push rod, a bronze bushing to hold the ball bearing in the piston and a banjo bleed screw.

The link to the go fund me is here https://www.gofundme.com/xs650-slave-cylinder

Seeing as I'm now selling something the link to my "Shops" thread is here http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-custom-shop-nor-cal.48860/#post-499472

You can email me directly at dtwigden62@gmail.com for any questions or you can post to my shop thread or DM me or hit me up on IG @dan.motornation.tv

I can't thank you all enough for the support. XS650. com is a really cool forum.

Cheers

Dan

screen-shot-2017-04-11-at-2-54-06-pm-png.98036

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the PM reply.
What material are you making the slave/piston out of?
And for those long term thinkers, would you consider posting the O-ring (I assume its flat, like a brake caliper piston) source? I'm always cautious about sources for consumables.
Might be helpful (my $0.02) to post this info in the original thread as well.
Answer quick! I'd like to be #1 customer!

It's a McMaster Carr part. Easy to get replacements. I don't have the number on hand. I'm intending to make the part from stainless steel. Thanks for the support

Cheers

Thanks for the quick reply.
So both the slave housing and the piston will be from ss? Great! What grade?
Also, can you answer about the o-ring? Not the number, if you don't have it handy - but a true o-ring or the flat slide like a brake caliper?
Not trying to be a pita, but I'm a detailed kind of guy...

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.
So both the slave housing and the piston will be from ss? Great! What grade?
Also, can you answer about the o-ring? Not the number, if you don't have it handy - but a true o-ring or the flat slide like a brake caliper?
Not trying to be a pita, but I'm a detailed kind of guy...
It's an X profile o-ring for mineral oil. I'm going to wait and see what the machinist recommends for the grade. But I was thinking 304.

304 is great - although my machinist does not really like working on it - harder on tooling than 4130 and 6061/7075. 316 is a bit more corrosion resistant, but that is prolly not too important here. All that said, 7075 gives 304SS a good run in many relevant properties. It's also the material of choice (if not 7075, then maybe 6061) for almost every motorcycle caliper ever made. When I was talking to my machine buddy, he was strongly suggesting 7075.

I've never seen mineral oil used in brake hydraulics for motorcycles - just because I'm curious, why not good old DOT 4?
Are you going to get one in service before you commence making a bunch? Don't take it wrong, but I often go through a couple revisions in doing custom stuff to get it dialed in.

I am definitely going this route, and I would truly like to support a member on the site; but would really like to see a finished product being utilized first.

Back