Wanted - xs650 for scrambler build

sean colleary

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi guys im looking for a early xs650 im just getting into thees bikes and i want to make a scrambler for all the awesome trails out here in CO. i actually race supermoto some speedway and mini moto out here in denver so im looking for something for just fun. im currently selling my 02 sv650 i would trade it for a stock xs or a project
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1951320001864508

Early XS units are get'n difficult to find and abuse wallets.. severely. Early XS units would not lend themselves well to off road'n.. limited suspension... excessive weight. They would be ok.. I think.. for traditional old English style cross country rides but serious trailing may be physically exhausting. I'v seen a few 650 motors stuff'd in dirt bike frames and they look'd capable. I'd suggest.. a KLR.. a friend just sent a couple weeks in Colo. and Wy... out in the sticks. Said the KLR was a excellent choice.

I think they are all old enough to qualify as vintage, the 74 up motors have much better (cheaper too) parts and tuning support and better longevity under hard use. Frames are heavier but considerably stiffer. Specials have less "classic" value (gggGary ducks rocks and vegetables) so can often be found for less dinero. Try wanted ads in your craigslist you'd be surprised what comes crawling out sometimes. PM weekendrider he sometimes knows of an orphan or two.

Early XS units are get'n difficult to find and abuse wallets.. severely. Early XS units would not lend themselves well to off road'n.. limited suspension... excessive weight. They would be ok.. I think.. for traditional old English style cross country rides but serious trailing may be physically exhausting. I'v seen a few 650 motors stuff'd in dirt bike frames and they look'd capable. I'd suggest.. a KLR.. a friend just sent a couple weeks in Colo. and Wy... out in the sticks. Said the KLR was a excellent choice.
I have a Yz450f right now so im not looking for another dirt bike set up the hole idea of the scrambler is amazing and im going to be more of jeep trails

....Specials have less "classic" value (gggGary ducks rocks and vegetables) so can....

giphy.gif

It's already been cut up.... it runs.... looks like a good candidate. How much?

that bike is a 79 Standard.................depending on what you intend to do to the bike to make it look and run like a scrambler = what needs to be spent on that 79Standard to make it into your project.

Gonna need to strengthen the front end

here are some XS650 Scrambler style pics........................................This has an XS750/850 front end. longer forks than an XS650
normal_dsc00340.jpg StevenHolland005.jpg xsl project 012.jpg
SteveS01 resize.JPG

Attachments

• normal_dsc00339.jpg
    normal_dsc00339.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 277
Either need a fork brace or a guard from a 77 and later model. These front guards have a lot of bracing on the underside and are effectively a fork-brace . On the XS750/850 forks, they are 36mm so are stronger, (and a bit longer), but he also has a MikesXS fork-brace because the guard isn't do anything structurally. Roy, the guy who built it, used the XS750/850 front end to raise the height as per a scrambler. This is not necessary, but if you do something like that, the stem from an XS650 can be put into the replacement triple

Back