Wanted - XS650 Frame W/ TITLE (or title only)

Wharfcreek

Near 50 Yrs of Experience
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting a junker / basket case I bought for $100. Whle I originally didn't intend to do much more than use the thing for parts, it's turning into a near complete restoration. It's an '82 or '83 'Heritage Special', or so I believe. Anyway, I'm at a point where this bike is clearly going to be made 'ride-able' again, but that's going to be fruitless if I can't put it on the road. I'd rather do a frame-swap now, before I get too much deeper into this one, or, short of that, if anyone had a wrecked bike title, maybe I can use my bike as a 'frame replacement'.........so to speak. Or, if anyone has any other ideas on the subject, please let me know. I'm in Pasadena, Maryland....and willing to drive a fair distance to make this deal. Or, if shipping is the only option, so be it. Many thanks, Tom D.

I don't know what the name of the company is, but there is a titling company you can use. I know you have to have local police run the vin and give a printout showing it's not stolen. You send that printout and a fee to the company and they send you a title. I know a couple of people who have used them I'll see if I can find out the name.

Phil, thx!! I'll await that info from you. Im happy to go that route!!

Jet, as long as I can mount the engine, front end, and wheels in the frame, Im not concerned about anything else. I think any frame / engine / front end combo is all onterchangable from about '75 to '83, but please correct me on that if Im wrong. I dont care about authenticity or correctness here. Just legality, safety, and operational aspects. I dont even care if its ugly!... lol

Phil, thx!! I'll await that info from you. Im happy to go that route!!

Jet, as long as I can mount the engine, front end, and wheels in the frame, Im not concerned about anything else. I think any frame / engine / front end combo is all onterchangable from about '75 to '83, but please correct me on that if Im wrong. I dont care about authenticity or correctness here. Just legality, safety, and operational aspects. I dont even care if its ugly!... lol
I'm sure '74 or later frame works. I'm not qualified to answer on the earlier frame/engine combo.

Do a google search for "auto title service Maryland".

Each state has it's own sometimes baffling title laws.

Texas has what is called bonded title. You buy a insurance policy for a state calculated value. I think 2 years later you can get a unencumbered title.
Cheaper than buying a frame and all the needed bits to adapt year to year changes if that option is available to you.

Didn't know there was another Pasadena. I spent a lot of time working in Pasa'get down'dena TX building petrochemical plants there.

Last edited:
The states range anywhere from "who cares? You don't need a title." to "No paper, no tag! Go away!" No XS650 needs a title in Georgia. No XS650 will ever go back on the street in Pennsylvania unless you get the title. Discussion about any state other than Maryland in this thread is futile. I will soon be learning how to do it in Mississippi.

No XS650 needs a title in Georgia. No XS650 will ever go back on the street in Pennsylvania

Perhaps there are "title services" in Georgia that take advantage of that fact. Perhaps Pennsylvania pipeline of untitled bikes "Sold" down south and returning to Pennsylvania with a shiny new title ???

Perhaps there are "title services" in Georgia that take advantage of that fact. Perhaps Pennsylvania pipeline of untitled bikes "Sold" down south and returning to Pennsylvania with a shiny new title ???
Nope! It doesn't work. Say you live in PA and have an XS650 without paper. So, I pretend I sold it to you and write you a Georgia Bill of Sale and you take it to the DMV in PA. I can assure you they well tell you to go pound sand! No title, no tag. A Georgia bill of sale is a red flag in other states. Some will honor it, but certainly not all. I don't believe there will be any Georgia title service. To clarify, last I knew, Georgia doesn't require a title on vehicles 1985 and older.

I have put this out there before---Vermont will register your xs650 , send you a current registration and a number plate. They will send it to your home address. You then take your Vermont reg to your DMV and transfer it to your particular state. You do pay $40 Vermont reg and sales tax. Also needed is a bill of sale, VIN verification, Easy peasy.....

tim

What did you decide to do? Hopefully you can come up with a cheap solution.

If you get desperate and want to take a long drive I have this frame and title.

20210523_130900[1].jpg

OK, sorry for the late response here. Dealing with my significant other's family and some 'health' issues. Kinda serious stuff......so it's taking my off the ball here on the XS project. But, that said, I intend to get back to some of the above responses individually, and I appreciate all the suggestions and considerations. I'm leaning toward the Vermont aspect of trying to get legally on the road, but I'm also open to purchasing a frame with title, and shipping it either in it's entirety, or maybe just cutting the frame head off and shipping it and the title in a box. I believe the Maryland MVA will allow a frame exchange on a damaged motorcycle, and if you've got a 'legit' title to the damaged frame, then I think the process could be worked out that way. But, depending of shipping costs, I'd rather just ship the entire 'good' frame and just rebuild the bike from the frame up. Anyway, still trying to work this out, and I plan to look into the Vermont program as well, since I'm going to have to go through this one more time with my last 'project' bike.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I will get it done some how.........one way or another!!

Tom D.

Back