XS650 FRONT WHEELS

Steven Simpson

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I UNDERSTAND YOU CAN LACE UP A 21 INCH DIRTBIKE WHEEL TO THE STOCK HUB, BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN CHANGE THE BEARINGS IN A COMPLETE FRONT DIRTBIKE WHEEL AND USE IT WITHT HE STOCK FORKS ETC???? (NO FRONT BRAKE)

Very probably. You might need to fab some spacers if the width is different.
No front brake? :yikes: You'll be stopping sideways in a panic situation! And you probably won't have a speedo, either... :shrug:
Most of your stopping power comes from the front brake. Remember trying to stop on a bicycle with coaster brakes? Cars first came with disc brakes only in the front.

I UNDERSTAND YOU CAN LACE UP A 21 INCH DIRTBIKE WHEEL TO THE STOCK HUB, BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN CHANGE THE BEARINGS IN A COMPLETE FRONT DIRTBIKE WHEEL AND USE IT WITHT HE STOCK FORKS ETC???? (NO FRONT BRAKE)
Hi Steve,
well, of course you can.
You might have to sleeve the fork's axle holes to suit a smaller diameter axle if you can't find bearings that'll fit the dirt bike hub and that have a 17mm bore.
But what you buildin' that ain't legally required to have a front brake, eh?
It'd have to be some kinda trike with a car rear axle?

just building a style of chopper guys! i understand the stopping power of a front brake. promise
Hi Steve,
if you feel the need to channel the late Indian Larry, go for it!
Thing is, to comply with the State's regulations a vehicle must have "two independent braking systems"
Hence my question about legal requirements. As I see it you got 3 options
1) Use a 21" dirtbike front wheel that has a little drum brake.
2) Put 2 independent braking systems on the rear wheel.
3) Pay the ticket every time your County Mountie pulls you over.
BTW my sidecar rig has FOUR independent brakes.
Dual disk front & Drum rear on the bike.
Independently operated hydraulic drum (ex-Honda car)
+ cable handbrake on the sidecar

Back