xs650 hardtail - Belgium

put the old girl on the lift today.
Foto0633.jpg

fixed some broken tabs:
the one that was holding the left footpeg broke of, it was just held on by one bolt and could be moved up and down
Foto0627.jpg

welded the oil tank back to the studs in stead of the zip ties that were holding it up. made it rubbermounted as well so shouldn't break again now...
and mounted straight springs, like them better then the hairpin springs
Foto0632.jpg

footpeg back in place and new heatwrap around the headers
Foto0628.jpg

Last edited:
so fixed some other bugs, new clutch cable, new plugs and air filters. adjusted brake lever cause it was dragging on the side of the engine.

took it for another testdrive and the damn thing left me stranded AGAIN!

no idea how or why but it start 1st of 2nd kick. idle great, runs ok and the all of a sudden it dies...
like it has no gas (but tank is full). if I put it in gear while its coming to a stand and release the clutch it wil run a second or so and die again (not able to rev though).

haven't made a single run with it that ended on my porch. it always ends with a nice walk on the pavement back home...

Sometimes it will run again after a few minutes but didn't today.

went back to the garage after about an hour. starts first kick...

another thing, battery fully charged, won't start electric, drains the battery in 3 seconds... (battery is good, took the one from my CB, 1yo and always worked)

tested and goes up to 13+ volt while running so battery is charging. strange machine!

Seen that kind of thing before, a poor connection in the ignition circuit. The connector would heat up from the high ignition current, then loose contact. After cooling, it would make contact again. Found it by accident, signs of discoloration in the connector...

So I should check the wiring then?
also bought a new coil because one is aftermarket and mounted/wired in a bad way..
Hope that changes something..

Well, that's my best guess. I suppose you could ride around with a meter, and take measurements when it dies. Or, wiggle things while it's running...

so, swapped over the aftermarket and not original coil for a new one.
But haven't had a chance to check it out, since the weather was bad last few days.

Did a compression test, came out at around 130psi on both cyl (dry and semi cold...)

what I did notice, the left exhaust has a much bigger "bang" then the ride sight. You can feel much more pressure on the left one, what could be the difference?

synched the carbs and exhaust is equal in blow-out now :)

bought a SV1000 front master cylinder really cheap because I didn't like the big original one. Mounted it with a clear tube as reservoir and steel brake line.
Will see how it holds up but brakes even better now.

Foto0638.jpg

als new air filters and new ignition key switch. Did that because the old one had to much play and would switch itself off while riding, not very handy :) but problem solved now with the new one...

Foto0639.jpg

not really an exciting update but mounted a new and smaller taillight, also further back, didn't like the place where it was before...

and i know, our plates are huge... :eek:

IMG_8783.jpg

mounted with a small bracket together with the sissybar

IMG_8789.jpg

next thing that bothers me are the rear axle plats, or rather the lack of decent ones...
When I do an overhaul next year those will definitely go!

hehe good idea!

lost the license plate on my CB as well.

Only driven the xS 2 times now with the new plate and it's allready cracked in one place

Back